Episode 14

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Silvio, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Silvio

Silvio Newb

Dislikes Received:
    After watching episode 14 and Dean Krueger talk about losing his father to a stand accident I started wearing my harness always. Have to admit I didn't always wear it faithfully. I started wearing one always after that show. I am the father of 5 and watching Dean talk about his Dad got me thinking. Did I want my children to have that happen to them. 05:00 Columbus Day I went up a tree and was about 18ft up and the bottom part of my climber broke and down I went. Saved by my harness. So thanks Dean for sharing and putting that out there about safety. We get so caught up in the hunt we often fail to take care of the finer details. IMG_0841.jpg IMG_0837.jpg

2. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum and glad you are ok! You are proof that safety harnesses save lives. People need to realize this and wear their harnesses!

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, glad you're okay!! Just goes to show how quickly things can change in life.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And you know what...I'll venture to say Dean will be more happy reading this thread than any other buck harvest in his life...such a testament and impact his father just made by that small dedication! Blessings brother.

5. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad to hear that you're Okay. It seems as though a lot of us are in a hurry sometimes, that includes myself. Sometimes we take things for granted, and get caught up in everyday life. We need to always be thinking of safety when it comes to hunting, and just slow down and do things right. I've never claimed to be a preacher, but after that day 15 years ago, I do tell people to wear a safety harness. If not for themselves, than do it for their family and friends, since they depend on us to come home at the end of the day. Once again, I'm glad your Okay, and touched that my story made you think about being safe. Take care, and good luck out there this season!

Dean

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  6. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you're ok! The good Lord was certainly watching out for you today.

7. ttraveler

ttraveler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow!!! I am certainly glad that you are ok and it all worked out. Deans message is a powerful one and I hope more people like yourself will do what you did. Thanks for sharing your story.

8. Dickie Tunes

Dickie Tunes Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that's amazing, talk about timing I'm so glad the message got to you when it did. Let's all promise to promote safety in hunting from this day forward. Seriously guys and girls this is the real deal, don't be a statistic!

9. Drop_Tine5214

Drop_Tine5214 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is that a Summit Climber? I have a stand that looks very similar to that, I think it is a Summit Open Shot. This kind of makes me nervous to use it again. Did you have to bear hug the tree and inch down to get back to the ground?

I too had a scary experience last year where the climbing sticks I was using bent over like a cheap spoon. These were the Guide Gear Sticks sold on Sportsman's Guide (There is a pic in my profile). After showing my stubborn, oldschool deer hunter dad and uncle those pics they finally decided to start using harnesses themselves. I now show that picture to anyone that hunts that does not wear a harness and remind them of what unforeseen circumstances can happen. I may use this picture too because no matter how careful a person is, things like this are unavoidable.

Glad you made it through the ordeal ok.

10. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you're ok! What timing, someone upstairs had their eye on you :tu:

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    wow, Glad you are ok!!

12. pineywoodsbow

pineywoodsbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've made the same commitment after watching that show too. I've always felt safe in my climber, but I have a wife and 3 kids that are depending on me. Wearing my harness from now on.

13. Bentarrow

Bentarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nice to see you didn't look like that stand glad your ok.

14. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to see that you are ok. Just goes to show that doesn't matter if your a new hunter or an old veteran things just happen that you have no control of. I hate hearing these old times that keep saying they don't need one because they have never fallen before so it won't happen to them. That could have been anyone just glad that since it happened it happened to someone smart enough to wear a harness. Bet that hug with the family meant a lot more when you got home that night.

15. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    glad you are ok! everyone should check their climbers often...I know I will now.

16. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So what exacty happened to the stand? that appears to be a summit, which I own and can see how the heck that broke. Did it fracture on a weld point? what was Summit's response to it? Glad to see that you were wearing your harness.