When do you get down from a morning hunt?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jnida, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Woody9220

Woody9220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Early season I come in around 11 and get back out around 2. During the rut I stay out as long as possible. If I know I'm going to have to head in for some reason I typically head in around 12 and get back out around 1. I'm usually in long enough to make a sandwich and warm up in the truck for 10mins before heading out.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

2. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. They will get up and move about within their bedding area during daylight, and late morning can be a great time to catch them doing so. But it can be hard to slip into bedding areas in the AM without bumping mature bucks that are already bedded.

I hunt bedding areas in the AM and target specific beds in the PM. I will occasionally hunt a buck bed in the AM if I think that buck will be late back to bed. Last year I arrowed my buck at 10 yards while he was sleeping.

3. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What he said. ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

4. Nick

Nick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was in on Saturday from 6 Am to 6 PM. saw two bucks just out of range between 12-2 PM. You just never know. If you can be in the stand, be in the stand.

5. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    10 to 1030

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Early Season until 11am

7. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I try to sit until 10:00 or 11:00 and then head back out around 3:00. Closer to the rut I may try and sit longer. I'd like to do an all day sit, but I don't know if I have the patience.

8. nanook

nanook Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I sit till about 10-10:30, right now the October Lull is bad, this weekend I did not see a deer... I'm not going back till November now... I have a Fallow Deer hunt in WI first of November and then start hunting the rut back home!

9. Swampthing

Dislikes Received:
    There is no such thing as the October Lull. Just hunters hunting in the wrong places.

10. nanook

nanook Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Swampthing, while there are differing opinions on that subject I'd have to disagree. I saw the same thing last year while I was hunting the same area. Talked with a few guys in the parking lot in the afternoon and they were not seeing anything either. After getting out of the stand I did about five miles of stalking around the area where I hunt and did not see anything but turkey.

11. Swampthing

Dislikes Received:
    Do you think the deer just magically disappear?

12. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    10 am now but come November I try to sit all day if my sciatica doesnt act up.

13. nanook

nanook Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No I don't think they disappear... perhaps you could enlighten me... I may have been hunting for a short time but I'm not an idiot. Maybe if there's some knowledge I'm lacking, some help would be appreciated rather than an off handed comment.

14. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  15. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends. Could be anywhere from 9-12.

16. bossbucks25

bossbucks25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually sit until 10 am early season and during the rut I sit majority of the day, walk to my vehicle if it is uneventful and eat a sandwich and move to different stand.

17. Swampthing

Dislikes Received:
    Primary food sources are changing at this time and deer are also more nocturnal than they were during the summer months. This results in what most people refer to as the October Lull. But the deer are still around. I think the problem is that most hunters spend their time hunting early season or rut stands during this time, and then wonder why they don't see deer during the month of October. You need to spend time scouting to find out where deer are spending their time during daylight hours (bedding and staging) and where they are feeding. Once you have that info, you can set up in between bedding and food (preferably closer to the bedding if you are hunting mature animals). That info will stay good for years to come, so once you know where they spend their time during certain parts of the season, you can genarally use that year after year. Keeping a log of each hunt can help in that regard.

18. nanook

nanook Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Crap Swamphing that was awesome! Thanks for the information!! My only issue right now is that I have narrowed down possible bedding areas but not entirely sure as its public land don't want to bump other hunters. I believe their bedding areas are to the north by the river with tons of acreage to the south... Right now the acorns are falling which I would suspect that is their primary food source since the DNR has plowed under the bean field which does not help....

My main theory which has yet to be proven is that the does are staged to the north and there are next to no bucks in this forest and they spend their time out in the farms around the area... and "hopefully" come in to play when the rut comes....

19. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That all depends on the time of year.

10/1 - 10/21ish I'll sit til around 9-930

10/21 - 12/1ish I'll sit til around 11.

Once it gets super cold my sits tend to end around 10 or so.

20. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't think I haven't considered using such a thing. Once in a while I wait too long in the stand and then I have to climb down with my hand climber and a bladder that's about to explode. It's like the world's toughest Kegel exercise. bwhahaahhaaha!