Team 17- The Most Interesting Bowhunters in the World

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by headstrong, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We need that doe broseph!

2. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Ahh gotcha. Still a pretty cool video.

3. Soggy McBottom

Soggy McBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just west of the Dayton area.

Derek does your cameraman give lessons? He did a great job!

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good news/bad news guys. Rather than not tell anyone, I'll fess up and share the story..........

With my upcoming move, I have really limited time this year to hunt. I did take a 3 day weekend last weekend to get to my primary bowhunting property and spend a last weekend at camp with good friends. This was possibly the only weekend I'd be able to bowhunt this year with everything going on.

Got a Lonewolf and sticks setup on Friday afternoon in a known transition area that had two overloaded apple trees, and got settled by around 3pm. Just about half an hour after getting settled, a pretty bad rain storm came in and absolutely pounded me until 5pm or so. I got absolutely drenched, to the point that my iPhone died on me despite being in my pocket and in an Otter Box.

About 20 minutes after the rain stopped, I could see ears moving in the 5' tall goldenrod thicket that lead from bedding through the apples I was in, and eventually into a corn field. She came my way and stopped at about 24 yards right in my shooting lane when I bleated at her. I sent a Killzone tipped VAP her way when she stopped and it caught her a little high through the top of the lungs and clipped the bottom of her spine. She dropped in her tracks like someone flipped a light switch on her. With another 45 minutes or so of light left, I decided to nock another arrow and stay in the tree. With possibly this being the only weekend of the year to hunt, and with no blood trailing........I figured I might as well sit down and see what else came through.

20 minutes later, I see another set of ears and a big long nose nanny was headed down the same trail. She literally walked up to the first one and dropped her head to smell it when I dropped the string on her too. I pinwheeled her with a perfect double lung, she mule kicked, ran 30 yards.........and fell over stone dead.

So here's the fessing up part. I feel pretty terrible, but due to the dead phone.......I wasn't able to get a picture of her. It was well into the 70's temp wise at that point, and in a rush to get the skin off the deer and get them cut up that evening, after they were in the cooler I realized I hadn't taken a picture.

With that said, I feel pretty blessed with the opportunity to take my first ever double last weekend. With my new son, new job, selling my house, and moving halfway across the country all happening in a 6 month window......it really makes you appreciate some time in a tree. Doubling up and filling the freezer all in one sit is just a bonus.

There is still a chance I may get out yet this year. I have 3 weekends before I leave for the move, and I'll be back home in mid November for work so I may get a chance to hunt then too, so I may get a chance yet to put some points on the board for the team.

5. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    .....if you were a buddy....

J/k. Congrats on the double doe...ive yet to get a double. That stand setup sounds sweet.

6. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking of apples,

Do the rest of you guys have any planting tips?

7. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well today I did not see a single deer but what is cool is a Bald Eagle tried to land in a tree that was 10 yards from me. I was sitting there and all of a sudden the birds in the woods went nuts. I turned around and looked up to see the eagle coming into the tree. I then reached for my camera and the eagle saw me move. It then did a U turn and got out of dodge! I wish that I could of got a picture or video of him. He has been at my spot for the past 5 years and only saw him once if I remember right last year. The pair of eagles have a nest that is about 10 miles from my hunting spot. I hope to see them again at my spot. What a day!

8. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats awesome. I have a stand back home on my girlfriends farm that every time I sit there I see at least one bald eagle but its usually a couple. They will fly right in front of my down the field edge. I have also see 2 hawk fight in mid air lock claws and start spinning towards the ground. Its a really active stand, hopefully I can get home sometime soon and hunt it.

9. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be back out this weekend. I was going to catch up on some sleep but I can sleep when I am dead! To the Hunt!!!!!

10. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Managed to get out this morning but not the treestand, managed to pull a 6 man limit of green heads this morning. I'm gonna try a stand for a doe tomorrow morning though.

11. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Took my boys hunting this weekend during the IL youth season.

My 10 year old has killed three deer in the three years he's been hunting so this year, he's decided he's going to hold out for a "big one", which is a 2.5 year old or older. Opening morning he had a 6-point at 25 yards and this evening he had a little 8-point at 20 yards passing them both.

My 8 year old took his first deer last year, a mature doe. He's after his first buck this year. I took him this morning and we didn't see a single deer. I'll take him again tomorrow evening after school.

Tomorrow morning, though, is for me! Going to bowhunt for the first time this year. Hopefully I can get a doe down and contribute some points to the team. I'll keep y'all posted.

12. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck out there DD for both you and your kids. :tu:

Sent from my XT901

13. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for my absence lately sir's. I have been busy with school and out of town trips, none of which where for bowhunting..

DD good luck in the morning man!

I did happen to get out this evening for my first chance at putting down a doe this season. Passed on a 2.5 year old at thirty yards. being she was a little on the small side and at thirty yards I decided to let her live. I am just not confident enough yet out to thirty with my new bow. I will be in North Dakota this coming weekend for waterfowl again, but after that it is strictly bowhunting for the rest of the year for me. I am going to try and get in an evening sit during the week to get down a doe for the 50 points (possibly tomorrow evening, and if I am really lucky Wednesday evening as well).

14. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    School and work for me here. I havent been out since opening morning, Im hoping that changes this weekend with midterms coming to a end and my speech being done with I will have a smaller work load and I can get back up in the tree.

Good luck if you do get out this week. Im not about by you but it will be cooling down here, which we really needed.

15. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same boat for me. I am looking forward to the long break this coming week! I have luckily been in fairly cool weather. Today was the warmest I have seen in awhile and I was still hunting in the mid to high 40's. I will be seeing freezing temps in the next 4 or 5 days which will be awesome. Where I was hunting this weekend the leafs where all changed and raining down all day long.

16. kskcheche

kskcheche Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for not being active ....BUT
    [​IMG]
    I shot this this morning...didnt get a score on it yet but will soon!

Attached Files:

17. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hell yeah man. Nice job! Just remember to have all the info and pictures.

Hopefully this gets the ball moving for team 17 again. Congrats again man on a nice buck :tu:

Sent from my XT901

18. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats bro! Remember that we need 2 different pictures and the score breakdown!

19. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Ill be out Tuesday and Thursday looking for that 50 point doe guys. In case you havnt looked at the scorecard lately were far out of 2nd place now. Leading team is in the 500's...they only have one buck down though. We have a legit chance to win this.

20. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am on stand in MO and officially excited. "Foggy" is back!

[​IMG]

Pulled the card over the food plot I'm hunting before I climbed up. Needless to say, that's an encouraging pic!