**** Team 9 Double Lung Liquidators *****

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by bowhunter448, Aug 19, 2013.

1. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You aren't kidding...this month of Oct is going to take some effort to get me in a tree...just have to sneak in hunts whenever I can. If things stay good at work, should get quite a few sits in first two weeks of Nov.
    Couple deer in our bean field when I pulled up this morning, but then saw nothing from stand. All surrounding neighbor corn fields still standing for deer to hide in. Saw some deer in fields on drive back to town - so I think I just wasn't able to sit long enough today to have these deer filtering back into the timber.
    Here's a quick Vid I took on my phone this morning from my stand...we call this the grain bin stand as we have a grain bin just over 100yds away on edge of our 5 acre bean field, remaining 30 acres is wooded. This stand is just about 60 yards inside the timber, very easy to slip in/out without putting any pressure on our property. Wind was out of SE today which is bigger reason I picked this stand (wind coming from about my 1-2 o'clock, nothing in front of stand would be able to wind me)
    [​IMG]

2. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well guys this weekends going to be awesome. Tonight im going to the Pearl Jam concert down here in Pittsburgh and hopefully that sets the tone for the weekend. Im going to do another recon hunt in the big buck bedding to see if i cant figure out where theyre moving so i can find a productive set for the pre rut and rut. Then saturday evening and all of monday Im committing myself to shooting a doe. I have some really good doe places so it shouldnt be too hard to get one in range, hopefully i can get it done with the recurve! Ill keep you guys posted

3. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    good luck to everyone this weekend!! I'm heading out for sure tomorrow morning...sunday is me and the wife's 6 year anniversary,,,going to the patriots game.....how cool is that?!! then a Monday morning hunt!! :tu:

4. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok have a question for everyone. Yesterday I went to my private land which I haven't been to in months. I checked the cams and I have 2 nice 10 point 135 range that are on their feet almost every evening around 645. I want to get in to kill one of them but the weather is warm. I generally avoid evening hunts until the temperature drops enough so I can just hang the deer in my garage and not worry about spoilage. What are some things I can do in this warm weather to help me with this. I would love to get one of these deer but the latest the processors stay open is 5pm so I don't have a cooler to take it too. What are some options? I posted this on the the main board too. Just looking for any options I may have.

5. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of storage options do you have? I would take a shot, especially since you seem to have them patterned and have a late night doing my own butchering. But, that's me.

6. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    I have got a couple of large coolers. Not sure if they are big enough to put a quartered deer in though. Also, have a deep freeze. but I bet its a bad idea to quarter it, freeze it, thaw it, and then butcher it. Also we have a very large refridgerator but depending on the time of week and how long ago we went grocery shopping I may or may not have the room to keep a quarter or two in there. The more I look at it the more I think I can put it all quarters in the coolers I have. Deer quarters are a lot smaller than you think about them being once you get them off.

7. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think you could get them in large coolers. I bought an old fridge off a guy at work for $50. I keep it outside and that's where I hang the deer. How warm are your overnight temps?

8. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    Been running in the 40s to mid 50s the last little bit. 70s during the day. Looks like the same the next week.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

9. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Depending on the time you will have it hanging, and the temps it will get up to, you can always pack the chest cavity with bags of ice, could also try and insulate the the carcass, the fur does a pretty good job, but a little more on the outside along with the extra material on the outside will help.

10. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If it's in the 40's I'd let mine hang over night and butcher it, or get it to the processor first thing in the morning.

11. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the 6yrs! The only way the day could be better is if you were going to a PACKER game instead :)

12. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Planning on going out in the morning to hunt a buck bed on public land where some giants live, but if a doe comes by mid morning she will be going for a ride in my Saturn.

13. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    haha!!

448am getting ready to head out!!!!! good luck everyone!

14. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Since it was warm out when Jacob shot his doe and I had to go to work I just cut off the backstraps, the rear quarters and the front shoulders. I then put butcher wrapping paper down on the bottom shelf of the fridge and layed the four quarters on it. Then I put more butcher wrapping paper on top of the quarters and put the bowl with the backstraps on top of that. Today I am finally going to get it cut up and packaged.

15. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't get my butt out of bed this morning after 4 hrs of sleep. Mad at myself for not getting up but my body was telling me it needed rest. Because of my strange work shift I normally only get about 4hrs of sleep each night Sunday through Thursday. Oh well at least there is this afternoon :)

16. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations on six years. Next friday is ours. Enjoy the snooze fest of a football game.

17. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck out there. If you get something, share a picture of the saturn ride.

18. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    back from the morning hunt! got busted by a doe fawn first shooting light.....no lie!! she caught some movement from me, she came from a direction I didn't expect her to come from! 30 minutes later I had another doe come from a thick patch directly downwind of me, she winded me, but she was a yearling and stuck around trying to figure out what/where I was...15 yards broadside....I drew back......and drew down because she was already spooked, I didn't want to take the chance. its still early October, plenty of time for the right opportunity! also Got some great video footage of her smelling me! My son was to tired from his 8pm hockey game last night to go out this morning, so my wife told me to take him out sunday morning before we leave for the patriots game, then we can drop him off at grampa's house on the way out, I said sounds good but I also was really planning on a solid Monday morning hunt, ahe said...so...go out Monday morning then too!!! WOOOO HOOOO!!!!! lol!!

also the wind really screwed my hunt up... a NW wind is good for my honey spot, but a NE wind blows my scent directly into the sweet spot......they called for a NW...ended up being a NE. still had some action, but at what cost I wonder?
    I should have been more disciplined and climbed down and moved, but I was in my climber and I was lazy. that's the downside to using a climber! I plan on putting up a permanent hang on stand on that tree for next year to make it easier, im just so afraid opf heights without a solid top rail bar!!!!

19. frantic29

Dislikes Received:
    Well, close but no cigar. Pretty slow morning until about 8:30. A lone (or so I thought) doe came up the trail about like she read the script. As she was passing behind some brush I went to draw. About halfway I heard a blow from behind me. The doe coming into the shooting lane stopped and I let down. I turned very slowly to see 4 sets of eyes and ears behind me trying to figure out what the hell I was. They never really spooked hard they just kind of walked off but there no getting the bow back without spooking. I ended up counting 12 does by the time they all left. It was kind of agonizing. Had at least one set of eyes on me for a good 30 minutes until they all walked away. So tomorrow afternoon I am going head out to see what I can do. I'm going to take my mobile setup in I think and go down in the bottoms below where I was today.

20. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good trip to me!