pse stinger problems

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BigEv, Oct 9, 2013.

1. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    guys, im 15. i shoot a pse stinger at 65 draw weight. i shoot 100gr muzzy mx3's. lately, my broadheads and field tips are shooting differently. my broadheads consistently shoot 4 inches higher and 3 inches to the right of my field tips. should i switch to mechanical? or how should i fix this?

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did they used to shoot together and suddenly changed or always off? If they have always been off you may need to broadhead tune your arrows. It's easy to do.

3. Dustin

Dustin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your problem is you need to buy a REAL bow. MATHEWS!!
    Just kiddin man. Yea I agree..broad head tune your arrows and make sure your broad heads and field tips are the sane same weight. I recommend rage expandables anyway though.

4. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's great advice. How would a person go about broadhead tuning a bow?

5. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Big Ev, I`m 44 and shoot the Stinger 3G at 60lbs. I shoot 100 grain 2 blade Rage heads and they shoot as straight as my feild points. Definetly switch to mechanical, you wont be sorry, good luck and get back with an answer when you switch. GROMMEL.

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldnt switch to mechanicals just to avoid properly tuning your bow.

What is your draw length?

How long are your arrows?

What spine arrow do you shoot?

Have your broadheads and field tips ever shot the same?

7. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My draw length is 28 inches.
    My arrows are 31 inches I think.
    My field tips and broad heads have shot the same. The first year I had my bow. I just didn't know enough about it to know I had to tune up my broad heads. I'm shooting 55-70 spine.
    I just don't know how to broad head tune. I like the muzzy's. I love how the fixed blade can lay the hammer down on a deer. I'm scared that the rage or other mechanical broad heads won't give me that bone breaking ability.

8. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^^^^

9. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because your arrows are so long I'm pretty sure youa re under spined

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

10. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check this out: completetuningguide.pdf

Now I will say, sometimes your bow CAN be tuned and your bh's still not fly with your fp's, Arrow flight is most important, don't move your rest out of centershot trying to get them to fly together... if your form, knocking point, centershot, spine, timing, etc are all good and they still don't fly correctly, then you can blame the broadhead.

11. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How do I make sure my bow is at centershot? I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I love to hunt and everyone around me has never messed with a bow before. I cut yard after yard to buy one and there isn't anything like it.

12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I would have someone cut your arrows down to 28 to 29 inches and I bet your broadheads would fly more consistent with your field points.

13. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have any shops around you? It's really a hands on kind of thing. Centershot is making sure your arrow is coming off your string and through the rest perfectly straight, up down left right. Some set 1/8" high knocking point, but that is getting into specifics. If you archery shop around you weather it be local or gander, ****s, etc they should be able to get you pointed in the right direction. Tell them what it is doing and you need your centershot and knocking point set correctly, and anything else that might need doing, such as timing.

14. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I second Aaron - probably best to bring it in and have it looked over....

That Stinger is a GREAT shooting bow, maybe the best I've shot in the sub $300 range BUT there is a downside - though easily correctable. They have the worst string I've ever seen come stock on a bow. I've seen Stingers that are only a few months - where a tubed peep has entirly spun all the way around - not to mention other tuning issues that can arise with marginal strings. Do yourself a favor and get with Hutch on this forum (or pick your favorate string maker) and get a good quailty pre-stretched string... Then you can have everything tuned up and put back into spec...

Not sure if you got the 'package' with your bow when you bought it? If so, that could be another issue - if the place you got it didn't set it up OR if you bought it online. They are supposed to be setup and 'tuned' from the factory but the ones I've seen it's more like "bolted on at the factory"....

15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    SouthDakotaHunter...I just got a new pse stinger a couple of weeks ago and have already noticed some issues with the string and peep. You are right.

16. BigEv

BigEv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got the peep replaced already. I found that the stock peep was a little small, but that's personal preference. Last October, I brought it to a bow shop about 2 hours from here. He said everything was fine on it, but then again, I may may not e able to trust that. I may run it up to Gander this weekend.

17. MJF1229

MJF1229 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yup I replaced my strings on mine after 2 months of shooting. Best thing I ever did to the bow. I shoot muzzys also. They hit right with field points. I would defiantly look at shortening up your arrows. I shoot 27" DL. My arrows are cut to 28". I took mine to a shot to help with tuning and love it. Got a nice ten pointer with it the fourth day of our season. Blew right threw him and he didn't even make it 40 yards.

18. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Broad Head Tuning Video:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017