Food Plot Suggestions

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by kellyfannin, Oct 8, 2013.

1. kellyfannin

kellyfannin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking to plant a winter hearty food plot on my 10.5 acres; I know it's a small amount of acreage but I need only to plant a small plot to keep the deer concentrated on my area (we have a great heard working the property). The ideal plot needs to be able to grow healthily in the woods as the entire parcel is all woods with sparce openings, so I'm guessing that our plot will be roughtly 50x50 feet, maybe twice that. Suggestions?

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If it doesn't get light it will never fully fulfill your expectations. Clear some trees and canopy on it's southern side by hinging them to encourage understory and thickness but let light into the plot.

3. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Winter wheat or winter peas type plot should work if you are looking for a true winter plot. That is about my extent of knowledge on winter plots. I am just getting started into food plots as well. Good luck!

4. kellyfannin

kellyfannin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any suggestions on getting one started by hand? (Rent a tiller and spread by hand?) Or any sites that would help out with info on pH and fertilizer/lime requirements

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    The amount of PH and lime needed and recommended fertilizing would all be answered via taking a soil sample into the nearest ag supply place that does them or sends them off to do them. Just tell them what you plan on planting and they'll recommend as needed. All the small plots at my parent's place my father and I have put in by hand; rakes, garden tillers and chainlink drag....it's work but easily done.

6. kellyfannin

kellyfannin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Chainlink drag? To settle the seeds into the bed im guessing?

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly dragging after tilling with the garden tillers has been needed sometimes to produce a more level seed bed. Never drag after spreading seed on our part.

8. kellyfannin

kellyfannin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ahhh okay I got ya now. I read that to its best to plant right before a good rain fall to help settle the seeds into the bed. Thanks for the tips!!