Just add water!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 400excracer, Oct 7, 2013.

1. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. I have to give this a try. I had a hole the deer dug from eating the MonsteRaxx and they drank from it whenever it filled in. The landowner filled the hole in by mistake. But, I have a few spots I can use this strategy. Thanks for the tip!!

2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great idea.

I heard you should lay a branch in the water for any insects or bugs to crawl out of if they fly in there. This keeps it cleaner.

3. whiskeyonsunday

whiskeyonsunday Newb

Dislikes Received:
    very cool idea.

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We were planning on doing this on our property. During the summer months our creecks will go dry.
    The concern I have is EHD. It has not been kind to us the last 2 years. If the drought is bad enough there is concern about our well going dry and we wouldn't be able to fill the deer pool. The fear is this would help spread the EHD.

I think we are going to try it, but monitor closely just in case.

5. 400excracer

400excracer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just read somewhere that some people put feeder goldfish in their barrels because they eat the mosquito larve. I may have to try that next year. I also looked at Farm and Fleet for a battery powered heater to keep the water from icing over but everything I saw was electric and that isnt available on this property. I may bring out hot water when it gets that cold, but that wont last for long.

6. ARob

ARob Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I do this and know quite a few other guys who actually do it to. To some of the concerns about the water going stag; my tanks usually run dry in a hurry. W/ that being said anyone who is seriously thinking about doing this- be prepared. It is a lot more work then you think it is. I was haulling in like 150-200 gallons every 10 days. I placed my tanks in easy to get to spots that are shaded. Also be sure to put in a stick or pipe so squirrels and mice don't fall in and drown. Makes a mess!

7. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It would freeze in a few hours.

I think the best bet is to just dig some small watering holes. A small bucket loading tractor would work best, but ive also found if you clear out the leaves and scrapes down to the clay in a natural depression you can hold water pretty good as well.

I know Greg has a nice watering hole that he created.

8. Full Draw

Full Draw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is very common down here in Texas. We set up 350 gallon containers with water and run it to a small trough on the ground. Use a float to regulate water flow. Last 3-4 months depending on evaporation and game use.

"Live Life at Full Draw"

9. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd like to try that. There is a sort of creek that runs through but I think that would hold them on the property if not lure them to the property.