Ohio Early muzzy season

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rutin, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Guys from OH please be aware that even if you continue to bow hunt during our "NEW" muzzy season that bucks are off limits no matter what weapon you take afield. I've talked to several people who thought they could still bow hunt during these dates for bucks but typical for our state they screw us yet again!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  2. Callaham

Callaham Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Boy I am sure glad you posted this cause I was heading to ohio to do some bow hunting.

3. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's 2 days, way early in October, when your archery season runs 4+ months! I hardly see that as being screwed by the state. deal with PA's archery regs, then we can talk about being screwed over.

4. bghunter777

bghunter777 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah Pa is aweful compared to the rest of the country

5. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was just going to post this today. It's crazy how many people I've spoken to thought you could still bow hunt for bucks this weekend.

6. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We're on our way to becoming your state if the DOW keeps implementing stupid rules. The last thing we need is to be the next MI or PA. The herd in this state is down so much its not even funny. Sure its only two days but for some of us that's all we get to hunt is the weekends! I wont disagree your state sucks but I would not like to see my state end up like yours.

7. flystraightandtrue

flystraightandtrue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ohio's herd isnt the best its ever been but i wouldnt say its down so low that its "not funny." They did their research, hardly any bucks are harvested during this weekend of october in the past..... so chances are it wont effect too many people anyways. The doe population is way too high so this is a great way of knocking down a few does early in the season. Ohio hunters do not like change and they bash any changes the DOW makes. Just be thankful you can still get out and hunt my man!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  8. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's a good idea overall, that being said I will not be in the woods due prior obligations. I just hate all the good ol' boys that are going to be driving through the family farm.

9. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I think it's a loss of bowhunting time, regardless of how long the actual bow season is. This was one weekend I had open to head back down to the farm in Ohio to bowhunt. With our doe numbers continuing to be way low on and around our property we are not planning to kill any again this year so it is a wasted weekend all around. The only good thing may be if others hunt on surrounding properties they may push deer onto ours.

10. LilSiman/OH

LilSiman/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thankfully I wouldn't be able to hunt this weekend anyways but I think it's really gonna pressure the deer to early and it will make a difference in areas where I hunt where everyone and there brother is in the woods when gun season comes around. I guess we'll see what happens and you can count on me being in the stand Friday night waiting for a buck too walk by.

11. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know where your hunting that the herds are ANYTHING like they were 8-10 years ago.... If its Columbus like your location says then YES there are PLENTY of deer within the city limits. My original post was not to "bash" the DOW but to let people know they cant kill a buck either way. I am very thankful I still have land and opportunities to hunt but I don't care for this mindless action they took. If the herd is that well off and they are worried about does then maybe they should open hunting up in the cities? Make some more revenue off drawings, bc that's all they truly care about is revenue and appeasing INSURANCE companies. This is where accidents happen and this is where they are hearing an ear full so they (DOW) wants more does killed. The average guy hunting no where near the burbs is seeing less and less deer every year.

12. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious, whats so bad about our regs? Maybe its because Ive never really bow hunted out of state, but I never had much of an issue with ours over all.

13. mean_sartin

mean_sartin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    They'll be a lot of bucks getting called in on Monday I bet.

14. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im sure the GW's will be waiting on these call ins! :busted:

15. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing like you think. It will be a big non-event.