GoPro Hero3 Black Edition

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by TheFieldArcher, Sep 26, 2013.

1. OctaneRudi

OctaneRudi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    upload the video of the exit shot

2. patientz3ro

patientz3ro Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sort of. It's a difference of 2MP resolution in still mode, with the WiFi remote included with the Black. The video resolution is sort of higher as well, but that's kinda iffy right now. Honestly, if you want the remote and the 2MP still resolution, great. You can probably get by with the Silver, though. To be honest, I'm not the best person to ask as far as what makes the 3+Black the way to go. I'll talk to my connection and see what I can find out.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  3. Nebraska

Nebraska Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate it. I am not to tech savvy when it comes to these things so just looking for a bit of help.

4. patientz3ro

Dislikes Received:
    Due to a schedule error, I won't be able to get inside info for a few days, but just based on retail $, the remote is around $80, so for another $20 you get the highest resolution. I'm not sure if the Silver will do the cinematic frame rate, but the 2MP is worth that $20.

5. Nebraska

Nebraska Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    no worries. I will most likely go with the black today. I will keep yall posted

What is the preferred mount to attach to bows? I have seen a couple different options.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  6. patientz3ro

Dislikes Received:
    Bowfinger is pretty popular. I can't remember the name, but there's also one that mounts to the stab attachment and can swing to either side. I like that idea because it actually helps balance out the weight of a quiver.

7. Nebraska

Nebraska Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  8. Kayak Mike

Kayak Mike Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got a Black Edition for my birthday this past year for salmon fishing outta the kayak. Perhaps I should put an arrow through it she picked up the accidental replacement plan from Best Buy.

9. patientz3ro

Dislikes Received:
    Call a Best Buy before you do that. The Hero3 iS still available, so they may very well exchange it for the same model.

If they're willing to exchange it for the 3+, then go for it. Just make sure it's on, facing you, and recording at a high frame rate. That way you can post the videos in slow-mo! Oh, and aim for the lens!

10. patientz3ro

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't watch the video, but I'm not sure how I feel about mounting it so far from the bow's center of gravity. From the thumbnail, it looks like it's mounted very close to the top limb pocket, which is as far from COG as you can get on the riser. Lots of potential movement up there, and as good as the GoPro is, digital image stabilization technology is by no means perfect. I think you could get away with being near the bottom pocket, since the camera would be above the mount. That puts it closer to the COG. Personally, I like it right on top of the stab, and as I mentioned, being able to adjust to either side is a good thing. There's less bow movement right around your hand, and if you hunt with your quiver attached, you can use the camera weight to help with balance. If you remove your quiver once you get set up, you can still be ready to tag meat on the way in or out. Also, keeping the weight close to your stab will allow you to get a little better performance out of a smaller, lighter stab.

One thing I really want to stress is that the GoPro wasn't designed for hunting, per se. It was designed for surfing, snowboarding/skiing, and things like that. If you look at the majority of aftermarket support, you'll see that the majority of products are geared toward those types of sports. Having said that, if you send videos to GoPro, the guys at the top watch them ALL. If enough archers are sending compelling, exciting footage in, that's going to be noticed. Once it is, GoPro will ne able to leverage more companies into creating products for US.

11. Nebraska

Nebraska Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is great. You made some great points there. I will go with the one you recommended. I plan on posting videos and will be sure to send them to GoPro for sure. I found a dog mount for my bird dog. I am really excited to try that out. It won't do much when he is running strong, but from a pointing stand point, it will be incredible.

12. patientz3ro

Dislikes Received:
    That's genius! If you train him to blood track deer, THAT would make a really interesting video.

13. Nebraska

Nebraska Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381173629.708303.jpg

Put your chin up, pull your hat down, and be a cowboy.

14. patientz3ro

Dislikes Received:
    Nice!

One thing to keep in mind is that the audio capability of waterproof cameras is ALWAYS an issue because the housing has to be watertight. I BELIEVE the H3+ will fit in the old H3 shell, so if you can find a cheap one, you should be able to cut or drill out the area over the Mic. That will improve your audio and still protect the camera. If you need pro quality audio, your best bet is to use a dedicated audio recorder and synchronize them with a clap board.

15. Nebraska

Nebraska Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the heads up.....we will see how it goes!

16. trailinone

trailinone Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome videos. Keep em coming.
    Chris