moving from long range(long range rifle) to short range (recurve bow)

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by lord jim, Oct 6, 2013.

1. lord jim

lord jim Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Howdy everybody and somebody:
    Due to circumstances (see the title), please advice
    I am thinking (seriously, almost ordered) Bear® Archery Kodiak Recurve #50
    Please advice:
    • what except for arrows and practice, practice, practice; do I need to get me going.
    • I try to be as primitive as possible but reasonably, i.e. do I need arrow rest, possibly nock
    • I thought the #50 draw will get me from squirrel to buffalo and hoped to handle the bow.
    thanks for friendly get me started advice; I will come back for more in time.

2. FOXFIRE

FOXFIRE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Basic tools of the trade, quiver, field points, broad heads, stringer, & have your bow set up & your in biz.

3. JamesxCreedx

JamesxCreedx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd look into getting a used recurve....the older bears seem to shoot better than the newer ones IMO. I love my 70s kodiaks and could possibly find a deal on everything you need for a deal.

4. JimPic

JimPic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You'll also need a glove or tab and an armguard

5. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One piece of advice i could offer is to look for used bows. The older trad guys cant shoot them anymore and compared to those who shoot compound and crossbows the trad guys are few and far between. That being said, alot of people are trying to sell them and few are looking to pick one up. Look on craigslist and ebay, I got a great deal on mine last winter. It wouldnt hurt to go to call around to bow shops in your area to see who carries recurves and go draw a few weights. I got a 60# and it was a little heavy for me and I lift year round. Not saying you cant handle 50, you might even want to go up a few pounds. Finding a weight thats comfortable to draw back and anchor will help you greatly with your accuracy.

Next decide whether you want carbon or cedar arrows. Then search online for ones that suit your bow best. If your buying carbons you can find the company shaft spine chart and match it up with your drawlength and bow poundage to find the correct spine arrow for you. (All the guys i know who shoot carbon either shoot the easton axis traditionals or gold tip shafts for reference) If your looking for optimal performance i recommend buying just the shafts and tuning from there, but if your just getting started any prefletched arrow with correct spine will work for practice IMO.