New to Site and Bows

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by puff, Oct 6, 2013.

1. puff

puff Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey All

I am new to the site and bows in general so have a few questions and need some advice.

I have used a compound bow (several years ago ) I am sure they have changed since then. I am looking on line at different stores and finding that there is a lot of new things and terminology it would seem I have forgotten.

I am looking for a Left handed bow. I am thinking that I would like a compound bow not interested in a cross bow.

I am a big guy with big arms stand 6' and 280lbs so don't want a light pull weight.

I am looking to shoot more targets at first to regain my strength and accuracy. I would like to move up later to maybe join a friend and shoot birds or...???..but this is much later.

OK..I hope that covers it, as for price...well it depends on what and how old, condition etc...however I am not sure if there is a good brand or model that is bad or better..??

In that same sentence wondering if anyone here has something used for sale that would fit my needs. I think at this time I would prefer to buy used rather than drop a bunch of money.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Puff

2. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The best advice I can give is to get into archery and bowhunting, used will work. I traded a friend around the time I joined the site for an old Browning. The more I learned, from both shooting and the sight, I realized it wasn't right for me. I went out of town a few times to Sportsmans and Cabela's, shot a few within my price range. I ended up ordering the Bear Encounter from Bass Pro, only because of the $5 shipping at the time. I love it. I've got some old carpet and foam wrapped around some haybales for a target. Welcome to the site. These guys and gals are awesome.

3. puff

puff Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  4. JamesxCreedx

JamesxCreedx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That bow looks pretty old. I'd try to find something newer so your not throwing out more money a few months down the road. There are plenty of newer bows in lower price ranges that would suit you just find. Bear and mission seems to make high quality bows at a great price. Best thing you can do is find a archery store and shoot all you can to see what's fits you the best.

Welcome to the sight as well.

5. puff

puff Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I checked its the wrong hand also...can a bow be changed from right to left hand or not..???

Will have to see what is in the area for stores, might be a long drive.

6. PSE-Hunter

PSE-Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There are actually some solid venders on eBay that sell brand new bows - thats where I got mine. They're not just an individual selling bows, they're actually legitimate vendors that use eBay as a marketplace...I was able to call them and have them set my bow to the right draw weight and length, pretty accommodating folks. Definitely worth looking into!

7. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No, a bow can't be changed from RT to LT. Keep looking, you'll find something. It also won't hurt to go look at used bows at your local proshop.

Good luck in your search!

9. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is definitely a great site! You can get everything you need ordered there or just do your research on the site.

10. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Puff:

Used will do! Go to the local pro bow shop. They will measure you for the proper bow draw and give you a quick lesson on shooting. They will also have several used bow for sale. If you buy from them them they will set up your new used bow for free. Also look at the local big box stores Scheels, Cabelas or ****s. Diamond and Mission and other introductory bows are build by major manufacturers Bowtech and Matthews. Bear and PSE also good less expensive bows. Buy it there and bring it local proshop to be set up.

Good luck.

Scotty