diversion/discourage stands and blinds

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by buggs, Oct 3, 2013.

1. buggs

buggs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So.... Hunted one of my favorite local parcels of federal land on the 1st of Oct, very successful 5 hour "sit" with numerous deer, 2 of which were 2 yr old bucks but out of archery range for an ethical shot - I'm geeked to get back out for the evening hunt on the 2nd. Its 160 federal acres of mature hardwoods "kitty corner" to another 80 federal acres of mature growth. The other 2 corners (160 freshly clear cut private, and 80 acres of private 10 yr old clear cut that is now 15 -20' scrub oak and maple - extremly thick new growth thats holding A TON of deer, year in, year out. I have taken 3 nice deer from this locally known "corner" on federal land over the past 8 yrs I've been hunting there. Now for my dilema.
    Last year during firearm, and this year for bow (when I went back out on the 2nd), this "corner" gets bracketed by what I believe are decoy/discourage/diversionary tree stands (3) and ground blinds (2) - complete with the orange marking tape and glow thumbtacks all set within 150 yards of each other. The problem is, rarely is anyone ever useing them, as was the case yesterday afternoon and I frequently checked this spot last firearm with the same conclusion? Its obvious that someone wants to project the false narrative that this "corner" is being activly hunted and/or wants to mark this spot as their very own. Being courteous, I went to one of my backup spots so as not to potentially piss off (5) could be hunters. Has anyone else ran into this (someone plastering blinds and stands in a small concentrated area/travel corridor - but rarely useing them AND leaving them up all season)?? If your there first would you still hunt it?? What is the courteous thing to do regarding this time tested funnel/corridor that holds a lot of deer and produces annually?? If, by chance it is one of the private land owners trying to discourage federal land hunters then is this an acceptable tactic?? Any input or past "like" expierience/input woud be greatly appreciated.
    Buggs

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bet that its all different people who dont hunt but a few times each year. Not everyone hunts week in and week out every year

3. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I stick crappy homemade stands that would brake if you put 2 lbs of weight on them up in a spot to see if theres any thiefs in the area so that might be what you got in your area.

4. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think part of deer hunting is hunting people. If you feel there are other hunters in the area, I would avoid it so I was hunting a less pressured area.

5. buggs

buggs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, talked with another local who hunted this his whole life, same 2 people. He still sets up his climber if he's there first and rarely see's them, and when he has he says there's never been a problem.

6. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where I hunt you can't leave up a stand overnight. If you feel it's really a problem either have a conversation with them and try to work something out, or if it's illegal there you could have a warden warn them to take it down. That probably won't win you any friends though.

7. kellyfannin

kellyfannin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If it's public land it's public land. If you're there before them then so be it. Same as the grocery store when you're on public hunting grounds..first come first served. I agree with the ethical replies but again, if you're not there I'm sorry I was here first. If there's a problem when or if they do happen to come hunt while you're there, then obviously try to work it out diplomatically.

8. kristal

kristal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    forgive me if i sound like a jackass but if its public land then take it down, sit it aside an hunt. where i hunt we have the same issue. its first come first serve best believe if you aint huntin im takin it down cuz its not supposed to be there. i clean my spot out an if someone beats me cool good luck to ya i will relocate. simple as that.

9. buggs

buggs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    WOW - you take another persons stand down when their not in it if its on public land? What purpose does that serve and/or what good could come out of it if you get caught by the hunter?

10. Arrow Assassin

Arrow Assassin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Respect. Hunt around them.