Lone Wolf Run and Gun set up

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Lastoneout, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what's changing on the stands, he's keeping a tight lip on things for now.

As for the show, I believe his kids are bringing it back and he's just helping out a bit.

2. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Justin, I see what you're saying and that method of cam locking will work well, but I cam lock a second time once I'm in the stand so I'd have to get back out of my stand to put the bottom strap on. And by the time I've cam locked the second time, it is rock solid with no chance of kick-out. Cam locking in the tree with the second strap seems like it would put an incredible amount of stress on that bottom strap, as well.

If I hung LWs as permanent stands I would use the 2nd strap, but it's just not necessary when hunting beast style.

3. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From Dan Infalt:

The stand was originally designed with one strap... The second strap was only added to help sell it to people whom had kick out issues with other stands... Andrae coined it "the outfitter strap" cause outfitters liked to strap bottom and top and leave the stand in one position.
    Andrae don't even use it, and he designed it.

If you are one of those worry warts whom insists on using it, one word of caution. CAM locking the lower strap can do damage to your stand and be un-safe... Put it on after cam locking

4. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm definitely using the second strap. It's like having two beers in front of you and only drinking one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.skyangler.com

5. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you check out there facebook page you can see a picture of the new stand in the background of one of their pics. By the sounds of it the kids are the one pushing to bring everything back but it sounds like he's full bore back on board as he's made a few calls to several buddies to get the ball rolling faster. Sounds like its going to be the same style show.... nothing under 150", no BS, no acting crazy and stupid, just hard core killers.

7. Hoythews71

Hoythews71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Took me a while to get a good routine down. Still don't like doing this in the dark of morning, but it will get easier over time. I use 1 of 2 stand configurations...

1) LW Alpha w/ 4 LW sticks
    2) LW Assassin & Tree Saddle w/ 4 LW sticks

I put all my straps into a small fanny pack in front of me, and I attached a rope loop on each side of my harness/Saddle. ONE strap for the stand stays on the stand (I use 2 straps only if I'm using the EZ Hanger.).

1. Lay out all the pieces. Attach the lowest stick to the tree. I usually space this stick out a good ways off the ground. Probably get an extra 12-18" here.

2. Step up and attach the 2nd stick. Im not worried about using my linemans rope at this point because Im maybe 3' off the ground.

3. Step down, attach a rope to my stand,and the other end to the bottom of one of the remaining sticks (its best to attach it to the stick that will be at the top of your climb. For me, that's the stick on my right side), and put one stick into each rope loop on my sides.

4. Attach linemans rope and start climbing. Stop to place the 3rd stick, continue climbing, stop to place the 4th stick that also has the stand rope attached.

5. Remove the stand rope, continue climb, pull up stand at desired height and attach to the tree.

6. This is the step I dont like. I tried using 2 ropes, one for the stand and one for my bow, but it just didnt work well for me. Once the stand is hooked up, I climb down, attach my bow with the same rope thats still attached to the stand, and I wear my bag during the climb. Once Im settled into the stand, I pull up my bow. Not the most time effective technique, but Ive gotten this entire setup down to about 10 minutes.

Ive tried a lot of different methods, and this is by far the easiest for me. My buddy tried this same method and it was a train wreck. Gotta find what works best for you.

8. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1. I get to the base of the tree I detach everything. Backpack/sticks/stand.
    2. Grab the first stick and hang that. Feet still on ground.
    3. I then will take my pull ropes out and hook one to my bow the other to my backpack.
    4. I have ropes tied to the last 2 sticks those get hooked to my belt.
    5. Place tree stand on back
    6. With the assistance of my linesman belt i start to climb hanging the next 2 sticks.
    7. At the top I take my tree stand off my back and hang it (yes I use 2 straps)
    8. Attach my linesman belt around tree and hook harness to it. (one strap for climbing and while in the tree)
    9. Pull up backpack and hook up bow holder.
    10. Pull up bow. Ready to hunt :woot:

One trip up the tree always attached to it as well. I don't have a lone wolf. I have gorilla sticks and a fairly light stand. If I use 4 sticks everything is the same but I hang the second stick almost from the ground.

9. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Takes me about 20 minutes, more or less depending on branches and such.

Attach bow rope to the stand and to my harness.

Start with the first step then throw the others over the shoulder.

Work my way up the tree then hang the EZ hook strap. Try to set my stand platform between top and middle step of the last stick. Also, I use both straps, doesn't even take a minute to set it up so why not.

Put the safety belt on the tree then climb back down to get my bow and bag.

I gave up on trying to make it one trip, too many ropes to get me irritated. lol

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013