Mock Scrape

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fishingdude93, Sep 29, 2013.

1. fishingdude93

fishingdude93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have put up two Tinks power scrape bombs. I have had them up for about a week now. I went and checked them Friday and they both have ran out of liquid. Just wondering if I should fill them up right away or wait awhile? Also wondering if I should still put in the mock scrape liquid or put in something else? Thanks in advance!

2. DrawBackBowhunting

DrawBackBowhunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They don't last long...has any bucks been hitting them? I would just throw some buck urine in it, maybe a little doe pee in the scrapes in a couple weeks.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  3. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely fill them up again. The bucks are starting to get territorial. I'd also stick with buck urine for a little while longer.

4. fishingdude93

Dislikes Received:
    I have some pictures of some small bucks checking them out.

5. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would get them filled up again and keep em filled. this will allow more chances of more deer finding it and checking it more often I think it will up your chances doing this more often

6. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Wildlife scrap dripper and it works great. I tried the tinks and it just leaked out in 2 days...lol. Is yours working good?

7. fishingdude93

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really know if it is working good because i have only had it out for a week and it was already empty but they are supposed to last 4-5 days. I guess I will find out when I get to check it more often when I'm out hunting. I think I might try the wildlife dripper. I was going to get it but they wanted to sell me the one for $20 but I just wanted the dripper.

8. wolbear

wolbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just remember, since this is early season stick with the buck urine or mock scrape juice if you try introducing doe in heat or anything along those lines the bucks usually become wary and stay clear of the area since they know these smells should not be around yet.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    My lure of choice until about Oct 20 is Tink's Power Scrape. I know the bottle shows a "max fill line" but I never go by that. The more you put in the bottle the longer it will last and slower it will drip. Since I can only check my scrapes every 7-8 days I fill them almost all the way up and can sometimes get 2 weeks out of them. My goal isn't to put a ton of scent in the scrape, just keep it fresh enough for bucks to notice.

When it comes to those bottle drippers it's important to remember they work off the pressure inside the bottle itself. When the bottle is upside down there is a pocket of air at the top. As the sun warms the air and the bottle that bubble pressurizes which forces the liquid out the bottom. So if your dripper is in direct sunlight it will get hotter and thus drip more quickly. The larger the air bubble (less liquid) the quicker it will drip as well. Which is why when you fill the dripper up with more liquid it will actually drip more slowly.

After 10/20 I'll star using some buck urine and around 11/1 I'll start with some doe estrus.

10. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice Justin. My question off of this is what is overkill? I also use the power scrape spray bottle in conjunction with the dripper and I don't want to over dilute the area with too much sent. When you make the switch to buck urine would you still hit the scrape with power scrape or are you only using the buck urine? Last year I continues using power scrape while running a buck urine dripper and saw results, but am not sure if I deterred action or if they really don't impact one another.

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    When it comes to using Power Scrape only I don't think there is such a thing as overkill. Both Mike (dukemichaels) and I have done some testing and found the more we spray it the better the results. Typically we'll spray it all over the place and not just in the scrape itself. I'm talking overhanging branches, surrounding vegetation, outside the actual scrape, on the outside of the dripper, etc. Until the scrape is taken over by bucks I typically will use 1/2 bottle of Power Scrape or maybe even more each time I freshen it up.

Now once the scrape is taken over I back off both on the amount of scent I use and the frequency that I freshen it up. IMO the bucks know it's there and they'll be checking when in the area regardless of if I've put new scent in it or not. Somewhere around 10/20 I ditch the Power Scrape altogether and start using Buck Urine only. I just don't see the need to use both since the buck urine is such an overpowering scent. I don't think you'll hurt anything by using both, but why spend the extra money if you don't have to? I plan on using the Hot Shot spray to freshen the ground scrape and then fill the dripper from a standard bottle.

We'll see how things go this fall as I have 3 active mock scrapes all being worked.

12. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I believe the label on the Power Scrape bottle says to spray it on surrounding trees and such. Anything to get more of the scent out there.

13. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I have used tinks drippers before and haven’t had any problems. Bought a new one filled it up went to hang it from the branch and it all just poured out right then and there. I tried flipping the bottle back over a couple times thinking maybe it was just acting as a vacuum circulation, like when you siphon gas once it starts going it keeps going. Well needless to say it all ended up on the ground in about a minute. Any idea why this time it did that?

14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glad this came back up, was going to bump it anyway.

I just got done with my first attempt at a mock scrape. I put it just to the side of a fork, the tree has two potential licking branches and set a trail cam for 30 second video.

Question is, do you always put the scrapes within range for a shot? Being my first attempt I put it back where I can see it but wouldn't have a shot. There's been a rub line in this area the past two years, but there's no suitable trees for a stand, possibly a blind but I don't want to muck things up on my first attempt.

If by chance I actually get my first attempt to work I do have an option of a ground hunt as directly behind the cam is a deadfall I could possibly brush/burlap in

15. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd make sure I was treating the licking branch every time you go to check it. My bucks will not tolerate any human odor on the licking branch so I always use latex gloves and or just mist the branches with spray bottles. I like to treat the dirt now that its Oct as well and often set up a dripper this time of the year. But once is starts freezing consistently I just spray the urine over the scrape and tear up the dirt, just like any buck would. I still like to take a few big zip lock bags with me and a small little garden hand shovel with me and transfer active scrape dirt from one to another so I can both over-mark and introduce new deer to the scrapes and its free/real deer scent. I always, always add some scent to the licking branch.

16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm, pulled the card today. I knew after getting home last week I had to lower the cam in the tree(used another card for sample video). So lowered it and get home to see what was on it, only one deer hit the scrape and it was a dang button buck. I freshened it back up and we'll see what happens over the next few weeks.

Felt a little like if one were to do an aggressive rattle sequence and a few minutes later a big crashing noise starts coming through the thick stuff....... And out steps an aggressive spike. I'm not too deterred yet, just had my dreams set a little too high I guess. At least something is using it.

My much dropped out of the dripper though. I thought it had dropped to the ground from stand but it didn't. Only used about 1 oz. or so in a week. Filled it up like Justin said but thought t would be at least half gone.