what do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Hunter4Life, Sep 30, 2013.

1. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have brought work home. I do try not to, however. I am putting my application for the next position in my progression this morning. I'm pretty excited. Time off becomes a little easier to obtain, I'd still have the same boss and just have my responsibilities shift a little.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. MichaelCfffg

MichaelCfffg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I spent 30+ years in manf engineering and manf. mgmt., mostly in screw machine job shops, but also spent some time as a product design engineer, a quality manager, and 8 years designing progressive dies for the stamping industry. Kept getting laid off though, as the work kept going to China. Now I'm a home inspector, and own a franchise. I'm not as busy as I'd like to be, but I'm paying my bills. I get to set my own hours though, and usually lay myself off for a few days in the fall to deer hunt. I always make a point of enjoying what I do, but really enjoy helping people with home inspections.

3. Covurt

Covurt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a supervisor in security at a nuclear plant. It's a pretty neat gig. 3 weeks vacation, 5 sick days, and 4 personal days a year. I work 4, 12 hour shifts then get 4 days off. Lots of time for hunting.

I just found out yesterday that our company lost the contract. So, i'll be reapplying for my job with a new company. Hopefully benifits and pay does't change too much. My current medical benifits are very good. I have sneaky feeling it's going to go to **** with this new company. We shall see.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  4. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am an electrician at a college. I do mostly access and security controls.

5. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a farrier.

6. Crossbow Jared

Crossbow Jared Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a labour for my dads masonry company.. My foremen are pretty good at letting me take time of for bowhunting..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

7. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I work for a Consumer Packaging and display solution company. The location I work at is a solid fiber laminate carton facility. I work in the Design department. I have 2 weeks of vaca. and get 10 paid holidays. We make some packaging for one of BH.com sponsors.

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a research plot technician for the University of Minnesota. Love my job and the hours are only 745-430. Plenty of time for farming and hunting after work.

9. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What mine are you at?

10. Nebraska

Nebraska Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I handle sales agents across the country that establish merchant accounts for our merchant processing company.
    Looks like a well rounded bunch here. I like it!

11. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Marine Engineer by degree but, currently working as a power plant operator in a combined cycle(gas turbine for power production coupled to a generator and then the exhaust gas is used to boil/heat water to produce steam for the steam turbine which is also coupled to a generator, as opposed to using gas/oil to heat/boil water to produce steam), cogeneration(we're coupled with a papermill) power plant. 3 weeks vaca. The way my rotating shift works I get a scheduled week off every month...I'm #1 on call but I rarely get called in unless its an absolute emergency...I work 12 hour shifts but, its good minus working nights I cant complain! Plenty of time off to hunt!

12. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Steel processing. My company gets coils of steel from the mills that weigh anywhere from 20-50,000 pounds. then we make either smaller coils or sheet metal out of those coils. 10 hour shifts monday through thursday, but if we are busy enough we work friday for overtime. Have been doing 48-50 hours a week for almost a year now. I like the job, not a huge fan of the people I work with. Boss is fine, i don't get along with some of the other associates so we just avoid each other.

13. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I work in the casting department of a precious metals plant. Started not long ago (about 3 months) and am really liking it. I'm actually cross training and learning some of the other departments in the plant. Working in the machining department for the next couple weeks. After 6 months I receive 6 days PTO and after a year I receive 12 days, 5 years 18 days, 7 years 24 days. Paid holidays. Also a pretty darn nice benefits package.

14. Full Draw

Full Draw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own a landscaping business.

"Live Life at Full Draw"

15. Swampstomper

Swampstomper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I checked several states before I retired, each had a little bit different requirements. Lots of people apply. Friend of mine in the Corps had his radio operator get out and go to Alaska to be one, lots of time in the field for him. Do some research and see what happens, you never know until you try. Good luck.

16. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I supervise 9 probation officers. 24 years and never had a bad day at work, love it. I work 4 ten hour days on a flex schedule but usually work Monday through Thursday. 6 weeks PTO, 11 holidays plus comp time if I want it. Blessed beyond what I deserve.

17. MichaelCfffg

MichaelCfffg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have to ask, do you get a kick out of doing that kind of work?

18. prekarious

prekarious Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Oil & Gas, When working we have minimum of 84 hr weeks for usually about 7 to 8 weeks at a time then take a couple off. I'm on the flowtester side of things so really don't have it that bad

19. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Oh boy. *groan*

20. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Production Supervisor for a composite aerospace structures company. Pay is good 3 weeks vac + accrued personal time (any hours over a 40 week (salaried) tally for paid time off typically adds another week or so) Always a challenge and can be pretty gratifying. Ultimately not what I would like to do forever. But in the meantime I will count my blessings......