Want to open archery shop. How?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Whitetail_Widowmaker, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Whitetail_Widowmaker

Whitetail_Widowmaker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Want to open my own archery shop. To be honest not sure how to go about all the in's and out's of doing it. Some pointers and insight would be appreciated.

2. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1 Word.

Dont.

Youll never have time to hunt and do your own stuff cuz youll be working on everybody elses.

3. jnida

jnida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Going from nothing to a full archery pro shop is a big deal. Unless you have 100k plus I would not look at it like that. My recommendation is to start small. Ebay and other online auctions make it possible to start an online company for nothing. I would get contracts with archery suppliers and start by selling their products on ebay(Bohning is a easy company to deal with as a beginner), and go from there. With all profits going to growth in 5 years you will have a career. It will take discipline but this is America.

4. JamesxCreedx

JamesxCreedx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Id see it taking quite a bit of money so my first stop would be the bank to see if its even possible.

5. kimberglock

kimberglock Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You will need excellent credit, the ability to obtain a lease. At least 150k too. Just to get started.

6. Whitetail_Widowmaker

Whitetail_Widowmaker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So it would be more profitable and just a better decision to sell on ebay then later have my own auction site or archery site. Ok, I guess my next question would be how do I go about getting a contract with a archery supplier such as Bohning and far as ebay goes do I need to buy there product and then sell or be a "middle man" for them so to speak. I have a lot of questions so bear with me.

7. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not in the archery business, but I am self employed and sell products from multiple manufacturers. You won't be able to just "sign up" as a dealer until you actually start the company, you'll also more than likely be required to provide financial paperwork. In my business, you're also required to have an "opening order" once your paperwork is complete. In my industry, they'll range from2-20k. In order to become a dealer, go the manufacturer website and find the contact page. That'll get you started.

Finally, with the www. Gaining more popularity brick and mortar shops are really struggling to make ends meet.

First step. Have a plan.
    2nd step. Have money
    3rd step decide what you want to sell, contact them and find out what requirements are.

I never like to discourage any entrepreneurship. Just do your homework and know what you're getting into before you get into it.

If you need "business" knowledge check out the SCORE website. It has quite a bit of valuable info for start ups and its free

8. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Start it on the side by giving lesions and selling supplies. Let customers force you to grow and make sure you really like it.