Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Another which arrow should I get thread.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Andrew/sc, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Andrew/sc

Andrew/sc Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I have been shooting the CX Rebel Hunters for over a year now, and I love them. I had been thinking about going a step up and getting the CX Terminator Lite Hunters. Right now, though, I'm not sure if I should just stay with the Rebels. The reason being is the weight. They are practically the same arrow except the Terminator is 9.8 gpi with a straightness tolerance of .0035 and, the Rebels are 11.3gpi with a straightness tolerance of .005.

I dont really care about speed, and I will be hunting deer and the occasional hog that walks by. The heavier arrow will give me more kinetic enery, right? So wouldn't the heavier arrow be better for me? My shots usually don't exceed 25-30 yards either.

With blazers and 100gr tips the Rebel Hunter will come out to about 455gr. and the Terminator will be about 412. How much difference will this make?

EDIT: I used the Backcountry.com approximate arrow speed calculator.

Rebel Hunter- 255fps(isnt that really slow?:confused:) w/ 66 ft-lbs of KE

Terminator- 268fps w/ 65.9ft-lbs of KE

I'm guessing with so little difference in KE but the 13fps difference in speed should tell me to get the Terminators. Or is this calculator unreliable?

2. zimmer/wi

zimmer/wi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    GoldTips

3. kickin_buck

kickin_buck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It would help to know what the current speed is for your 455gr setup. However, we can make some assumptions here.

Assuming your current set up (455gr CX Rebel with 100gr BH) is shooting 270fps. Your KE will be 74ft-lbs, which is plenty for both deer and hogs.

Assuming your 412gr (CX Terminator Lite with 100gr BH) set up will boost your speed to 285fps. Your KE will be will be 74ft-lbs.

The speeds are pure assumtions. What you need to do is shoot each setup (assuming each is spined correctly) and get an accurate speed. In the case above, you would be able to shoot faster, without losing any KE. If that is indeed the case, it is a very easy decision.

4. Andrew/sc

Andrew/sc Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting a Fred Bear Lights Out at 70# and 29"DL. I dont have access to a chrono and if I did I dont have a terminator to run through and compare. So, what do I do?

5. Andrew/sc

Andrew/sc Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Why?

6. kickin_buck

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have access to a pro shop that sells both arrows? Let me dig around on-line and see what information can be found.

7. kickin_buck

Dislikes Received:
    So, again these numbers are not exact per your setup, but should be really close.

455gr arrow out of your bow should be around 265fps+/-, producing 71ft-lbs. Plenty of KE
    412gr arrow out of your bow should be around 280+/-, producing 72ft-lbs.

In the instance, I would chose the lighter shaft, it just seems like a win-win.