Ive had it with the Ripcord

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MathewsSniper687, Oct 1, 2013.

1. MathewsSniper687

MathewsSniper687 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bear with me folks as i'm going to tell my whole story with them..

First off three or four years ago I bought the first ripcord that came out because it was the cool new thing. Well fresh out of the box the swing arm was bent, no big deal manufacture defect had it replaced. So over the past two years shot pretty well no issues until recently. Bought a new bow had it swapped from my old switch back to my chill and voila she shot great. Not 20 shots in and it broke. Wasn't about the drive 30 mins to take it to the shop so I used my engineering skills to fix it. (the string had pulled through the final wrap hole if anyone has ever taken theres apart) So i burned the end and made a real nice mushroom so it wouldn't pull through again. Well maybe 50 shots later it pulled through again. In case you're wondering what happens then the rest will not lock in the upright position completely or at all, a little aggravating from a hundred dollar rest. So tonight, the day before opening day, i re-mushroomed it as well as cyberbonded it on there, hopefully she holds up the rest of the season. My father has had the QAD the same amount of time i've had my Ripcord with no issues, so if it holds out until the end of the season I will be switching to the QAD. Pretty frustrating at this point. Anyone else ever have this problem? Or recommendations? I do shoot quite a bit, not sure if that has anything to do with it.
    Thanks to anyone to took the time to read my vent/post,
    Jake

2. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your burning the end of the cord when you mushroom it, you need to heat it just enough to get it to curl. That weakens the cord. Do this with a D-loop and you will have a nice fat lip.

3. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is the timing right, you stated it's not locking in the upright position?

I've had a ripcord going on 4 years. 3 friends at work have had them longer than me. Combined, we're looking at about 19 years and tens of thousands of shots (we all shoot nearly every day) and none of us has had any more than a hiccup from the rest.

This is very strange but they have a lifetime warranty. They will replace it for free if anyhing internally breaks. Is it making noise? functioning smoothly?

4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been shooting the ripcord since they were released. I've never had any issues. Seems like you may have to much tension possibly? I have seen guys not have it tied off in the right place, to low or high and cause some issues. One guy I shot with the rest would get stuck in the upright position even on release. I repositioned where it was tied off and he has never had the issue since. The manufacturer stands behind their products. Send them a e-mail and they will either make a recommendation or send you a full replacement!

5. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a QAD and plan on sticking too it

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think BC pinned it.

I had one one my old bow for years, and it worked great. I replaced the string twice (to change it's color). You need to make sure that the end is not burned, just melted. Also, make sure that the rectangled piece that it's threaded through, is turned in the right orientation. I believe the longer end goes up, if I remember correctly.

On a side note, I wouldn't want any glue on the inside of my rest. If it stuck, or a chunk came off, you could be shooting through a frozen rest.

7. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wouldn't a simple overhand knot serve the same purpose as mushrooming the end - to keep the cord from passing through a hole?

Unless there's a clearance issue with a knot being too big or something.

8. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am the opposite of you. I have 2 Ripcords and have had zero issues . One is the first code red with at least 15000 shots and the other has maybe 9000. I had 3 QADs, each one had issues from very loud to needing a wrench to cock it up. QAD kept sending me new ones until I gave up on them. I will never buy a QAD again. I also have a NAP Carbon Apache and I would recommend it.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Inside the rest there's only room for a mushroom.

10. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ah gotcha. I think the QAD has a little recessed space - I seem to remember doing that to my rest but I could be wrong.

11. MathewsSniper687

MathewsSniper687 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Too much tension on the drop string may be what is causing it to pull through. The spacer block is in the right way (long end on the spring). And its just mushroomed over not completely burnt. I shot today and everything is working fine. If it pulls through again ill try and move the string up a tad and see if that helps. If all else fails i'll have to e-mail them. Could just be something dumb. Thanks guys

12. MathewsSniper687

MathewsSniper687 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Another question for the Ripcord guys, both times i've had my rest installed they used a string separator the feed the drop string through, is that how you guys have yours or did you use the plastic string clip to attach it?

13. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a QAD that I've had for about 3 years. Now it takes anywhere from 5-15 tries to get it to catch and stay up. Otherwise I love it. I have friend who has an old ripcord that still functions fine.

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have you been using the same cord this whole time? It would be getting shorter each time effecting both timing and possibly adding the extra tension like you said.

I never liked that football clip. I always set and served mine into the cable. A couple knots on either side & a mushroomed end.

15. whiskeyonsunday

whiskeyonsunday Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i have the code red on my ez7 and 100% love it, and have never had a single issue with the rest. i would do as others have said and call or emial the guys/gals over at ripcord and see what they say.

16. crohunter

crohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have ball clamp on my ripcord...easy to use...holds well..

17. MathewsSniper687

MathewsSniper687 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Replaced the cord when i got my new bow. Only reason i was considering using the football is because the drop string is already at the top of the cable wrap. We'll see what happens, I really liked the rest until this started happening

18. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive had my ripcord code red for about a year and a half now and ive taken thousands of shots with it. I had an issue once where the rest would not go completely down, then somehow the little spring inside the rest got turned incorrectly, it works fine now like it always has but it wount stay locked in the upright position anymore, but it doesnt bother me because i never fliped it up before i draw back, next rest im goin back to the qad. I like the ripcords but i still think the qad hdx are the best rests out there.