Hello

Discussion in 'West' started by Oldcarp, Sep 8, 2013.

1. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok. I started back up on the weights last night. I just gotta keep with it. I've also planned on shooting at least once a week. I do have a coyote hunt planned. Once spring rolls around, I'll do biking and hiking during pre-season scouting. I will put in for an antelope tag this next year. I want to wait a few years before elk hunting.

2. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    checking in from Oregon.

3. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome, I was born in central Oregon. When I was 12 we moved out to Utah

4. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Greetings all. My address is in Texas but I grew up in Wyoming and hunt there every fall. I still bleed Brown and Gold for those Cowboys! My son is an outfitter there and although I haven't hunted with him, I think I can still claim to be a "westerner". Just got back from a two week hunt there. Passed a ton of deer and couldn't get a clear shot at the buck I was after at 34 yards. My buddy shot right under a nice 5x5 bull elk but shot a doe mule deer. We had a great time and saw a ton of game as usual. I did whack a coyote! While I was there my son's wife gave birth to their first child and my first grandson. Awesome. That was enough to make it a successful trip.

5. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    JGD, Congrats on the Grandson.

6. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. Pretty special.

7. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Grand-kids are the best.

8. carbon-arch

carbon-arch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the welcome OC.

9. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    So I'll do a little intro so we can kinda get to know each other a little. I'm Tim, from NNE NV. I have 4 boys, 4,3,2, and 7 months. I just completed my first year of deer hunting, tag soup for this guy, but a LOT learned. Which will be a good thing because my oldest one wants to "learn how to shoot a real bow so I can hunt real deer with you (me). I am looking at attempting a coyote hunt with a buddy of mine and chasing some upland bird with the father-in-law this season, and then I'll hit it hard for putting in for antelope and muleys again.

10. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Im Dan and live in central Utah. I have 5 children. All grown and married off. Have 10 grandchildren and one more on the way. They are a ball to take fishing. I bow hunt elk and Mulies and when I can afford it I hunt whitetail in Kansas. I also am one of those crazy duck hunters you always hear about. I do have a passion or as my wife calls it " A disorder for bow hunting elk" She is always claiming she is going to put elk antlers on her head and wear a duck suit so in the fall I pay attention to her. We have been married for 30 years and i am glad she loves me and is patient with me ;)

11. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Oregon in the Portland area. I have been married for three going on four years now. I have a ten month old girl at home. They are my life. This year was my first year hunting. My good friend from church took me in as his hunting partner and the rest is history. Filled my first spring turkey back in march (shotgun). Then we decided to get into bow hunting to extend our hunting season. This year we were able to put down one nine point buck (he got it) in the archery season. We are about to head into rifle season were we each have a doe tag. Learned a lot this year during bow season. Where we hunt we have a lot more deer and better shooters during early season. Once you get closer to the rut almost all the deer on the property we hunt take off. Besides the does with fawns.

12. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

Just a question. A lot of the hunting material I read, both in print and here, are focused on whitetail. Living out here and chasing Muleys, are tactics and techniques any different for the cousins? And if so, where can I find some good intel on the Muley?

Thanks

13. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting mule deer is a little different then whitetail hunting. Mule deer don't pattern as well as whitetail. Most my muleys have been spot and stock. Have shoot them from a stand but only a couple. There is a lot of info on the internet. Remember every area is different and will hunt just a little different. For me learning the area and spotting are extremely important.

I hope this helps and I am sure there are a lot of guys here that are better hunters then me.

14. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    This does help. Thank you

15. in2blood

in2blood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in from northern Colorado, nothing against whitetails but i am glad to see the words muley and elk in this thread!

16. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with ya on that. Whitetails are fun to hunt but they aint elk

17. in2blood

in2blood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am addicted to elk. I had my wife with me on our hunt this year and she went off into the woods to take care of business and i turned around and had a spike somehow sneak to within 5 yards of me and scare the crap out of me! It always amazes me for as big as they are how quite they can get through the timber.

18. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im from OK moved back from CO a few years ago. I still spend a month or so a year at my dads house in CO. Im usually out west hunting Elk an Muleys a few weeks out of the year also. Got my first Elk this year. Man is was a rush. Good luck to you guys the rest of the season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

19. in2blood

in2blood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK/Sooner glad to hear you were successful!!!

20. in2blood

in2blood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On a side note my wife and I ran into a ton of guys from Oklahoma and Missouri in the Colorado back country this year.