Rubber boot problem

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Dawn Assassin, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ive had my Lacrosse 1000gr boots for over 3 yrs and never really smelled them till today. Got up into my ladder stand at 5:30 and by 5:45 a doe started snorting and stomping at 530 am 20 yrds behind me. So im sitting there thinking how did she pick my scent up? Then I smelled it!!! Rubber from my boots! Did anyone else have this problem and if so how the heck do I get rid of the smell? I keep my boots outside with my hunting clothes in a scent free container in a shed I build just for my hunting equipment so I know its nothing in there contaminating my gear any and all info will help thanks in advance guys

2. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My el cheapo boots are a year old and the rubber smell is gone. Last year, I tried baking soda, scent free detergent, and cover sprays with limited success. Three years is a long time; sorry no answer for your problem.

3. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wear them in water thats almost to the tops of the boots. I wade around in the shallow end of my pond a few times when I get new boots. One final wash with baking soda and then let air dry outside for a couple of days. I don't know that you will totally eliminate the scent though.

4. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    step in a pile of poop on the way to the stand. Or wipe EverCalm all over your boots.

5. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I find it hard to believe that 3 yr old boots still carry that strong of an odor, are you positive it is the boots??

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've never been sold on rubber boots being 100% scent free. If you get any sort of oil from your hands on them or touch the boots without gloves on they will get human scent on them no matter what anyone says. I've had plenty of deer over the years pick up my track where I walked with rubber boots which had been cleaned and sprayed down before my hunt.

Also, I doubt any deer is going to snort at the smell or rubber alone which is why I never bother with trying to "de-scent" my rubber boots. It's the human smell that bothers them and we leave it behind with every leaf we brush into, every twig we step on, every branch we push out of the way and every breath we take while in the woods.

Chances are she busted you playing on Facebook and that's why she was snorting. :busted:

7. Big John

Big John Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't find anything to remove the smell-I even soaked them in a baking soda solution to no avail. I went back to lightweight hiking boots and spray them. I also do "the barnyard shuffle" in dirt before starting in the woods. Haven't had any problems either.

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Masking the rubber smell with stepping in poop of any animals is always encouraged when I'm entering the woods...other than that the only thing I've found to lesson the scent is baking soda or activated carbon powder sprinkled in and on the boots stored in a tote...then shook....warning though this stuff can stain socks and hands.

9. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Evercalm would prob be a good one

10. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You need natural odor to get to them. Storing them in a sealed container w/ your scent free clothes isn't going to help.

Mine have been in a closet for a year, sprayed down a few times w/ scent spray, and they don't really smell anymore. When I first got them they stunk! Wearing them in the field is the best way.

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree that it is not likely the boots that scared them. The smell of rubber is not a threat. New tires on an ATV don't send deer into a panic when they cross the path. It was human scent that made her sound the alarm.

13. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Soak them in a tub of mud when your not using them...some boots take a long time to get rid of that smell.

14. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wish that was the case but I walk a small muddy creek to my stand and as far as facebook I lost my phone a couple days before so thats out the window.im going out today to pull a card im gonna try rubbing mud on it.

15. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My boots still smell rubbery and I've taken several deer. If she could smell rubber she could smell you.