Do I have a good spot?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by kyHunter55, Sep 19, 2013.

1. kyHunter55

kyHunter55 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    new to bow hunting here is my spot

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=8411...Rd,+California,+Kentucky+41007&gl=us&t=h&z=19

the second little field on the bottom i have a blind set up on the hill closer to the cover but a decent bit of open field very large watering hole as you can see an big open field found bedding in the thick stuff from opening to water it has not been hunted in 12+ years very thick if you zoom out there is crops north of me but not my land my land runs up the creek but this dam seemed to be a good spot to me any input and what can i do to keep the deer there or should i say set them up dont have a trail camera didnt see any deer when we set up but did find bedding and tracks and trails also saw 5 turkeys any food mix suggestions this is in nky. thanks

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a nice spot. If you found a bedding area, see if you can determine if it's a day or night bedding area. Deer are most active at dusk and dawn. They do actually bed down at night for a time. Then, try to find the primary food source and water source. Setup for the entrance and exit. You won't shoot anything if it knows you are there. Deer also use "fingers" of timber to travel. I like to setup as close to the "tip" of the finger I can safely. The older deer will walk as long as they can in the safety of the woods and sometimes stand there and watch the field before entering. Find a trial towards the tip of that finger.

3. kyHunter55

kyHunter55 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Okay thanks I am going to set up a camera tomorrow so maybe that can tell me a little more

4. kyHunter55

kyHunter55 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    got the camera setup ready to go i shall post friday if I have anything good or bad got a steal on my camera 59.99 A-5 moultrie at dunhams if any one is looking

5. KYhunter

KYhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like an ideal spot. Now to just to figure out when the deer are moving through there. Hopefully you'll get a nice trophey out of there!

6. kyHunter55

kyHunter55 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks an an exactly I have some food out an my camera up friday cant come soon enough im itching to check it already but i feel im guaranteed to get a turkey if not a deer lol cause i have been to the land three times an have seen 16 total so far 4 toms two really nice looking ones but lets be real i want something with a rack

7. KYhunter

KYhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I heard that! Let us all know what you find out Friday.

8. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey I'm a total newb to bowhunting and was wondering if I could get some spot advice too. In the pic I have the area im allowed to hunt in the green regtangle (not very big) and I put a few dots as possible stand sites. I was just wondering what you guys thought about where ideal stands could be put. Thanks for any help!

Stands.jpg

9. Cablebob

Dislikes Received:
    Too small. Post a link. Thanks.

10. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  11. Cablebob

Dislikes Received:
    You hunt in Solon Iowa? I hunt in Jones county near Anamosa.

I'll take a look and see what I can conjure up. Do you know where they bed down?

12. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! I don't know extensively their movement/bedding habits, I just know they bed in the CRP around those tree lines and the trails basically run with the tree lines

13. Cablebob

Dislikes Received:
    Park on the road or on that access road to the west if you can. Get a good set of binoculars or a spotting scope and sit there one evening to see if you can tell where the deer come out of the timber to get to the field. You will want to setup close to that spot. Make sure you are far enough away not to spook the deer. If for some reason this isn't possible, then I would suggest the north west corner of the timber line where it meets the big woods up top. This would be an evening stand as the sun would be in your face and you wouldn't be sky-lined. It's also in the corner where many deer will "hold up" until it gets dark and entering the open field. But this is pure speculation since I have not scouted the property. Good Luck!

14. kyHunter55

kyHunter55 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    tomorrows the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. kyHunter55

kyHunter55 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Happy but sad lol checked my camera saw alot of does an 4 pics of bucs I was only 412 of 594 in the pictures an the computer froze an deleted everything positive it was a 10 pointer and a 8 or 6 or it could have been one of each lot of activity saw a couple big turkeys too it was up for 6 days 1 bag of primos donkey corn feed with tinks sweet weed on it I just put 20 apples there today but sadly didnt get a new sd card im gonna tryvto have the ones recovered but I will be putting a new card in it next week it took 5 days for the bucks to come around an it was night pictures and the pictures were in a 5 hour span from after sunset till 2am thats when it sadly froze when I was trying to save the ten pointer to put on here