Team #19 - Deerly Departed

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by ZXTMike, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Troutking

Troutking Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Buck Down

I killed this buck on public land in Missouri. I went in blind to a spot I had not hunted before. I knew from the aerial there was a small waterhole. Looking at the topos it was obvious that some deer would be bedding on that ridge. I set up downwind of the waterhole about 30 yards. My hunch is that the buck was bedded approximately 120 yards from where I was set up. I saw start milling around and I believe he got up right where I first saw him. He came in scent checking the waterhole prior to approaching and I was just downwind of him. I shot him through the heart, did a slight mule kick ran 20 yards and laid down and died. One of those times a plan comes together perfectly. I must admit there is a twinge of disappointment with his size. I'm still not great at judging deer on the hoof and just haven't killed a ton of deer in my life. That being said I have always wanted to harvest an animal over water and that was done. This is number 9 with a bow and have never shot one with a gun. I was set on killing a larger deer this year. Now I will have to wait till gun season to see if I can get it done with a bow on a larger animal. I added the proper photos in the official contest thread. Enough rambling. Thanks for letting me share.

Attached Files:

2. ZXTMike

ZXTMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a nice buck, Trout. Awesome.

3. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats trout on the buck. I am feeling first place this year.

4. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a great looking buck! congrats

5. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be back in town on Monday and hopefully get to hunt'n!

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

6. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your buck Troutking! You sure he only scored 106? Looking at the pictures you submitted on the scoreboard thread he looks like he would go higher then that!

7. Troutking

Dislikes Received:
    We taped him the other night and he grossed at 106 3/4. I am pretty sure the score is within a couple inches. Short tines and a little over 15 inches wide. Decent mass for a buck of that size. I am not a great scorer but my buddy who has measured a lot deer with consistency when he compares his measurements to official B&C deer that he has had scored. I don't trust myself as much as I trust him. If you guys really think I am off let me know and I will look into it further. He is at the taxi now though. Thanks for all the kind words.

8. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sure your right. Pictures are tough to judge I just thought he looked bigger. Congrats again.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

9. Chall08

Chall08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a nice buck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got a couple nice bucks im chasing! just need them to start coming out in the day light hours!! deer 1.jpg deer 2.jpg deer 4.jpg deer.jpg

11. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
  12. newbie2012

newbie2012 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get to hunt on Sunday!! Super pumped to get in the woods or on this case crp!

13. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    About 8 days and ill be in the tree stand. I might get out tomorrow to check the trail cams.

14. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Opener here in OH tomorrow. Going out the next two evenings. Nothing real exciting to go after yet but any day in the woods is better than work. Checked cards and looks like two potential shooters have showed up but aren't regulars.

15. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  16. Troutking

Dislikes Received:
    Unbelievable September

I killed another deer tonight, 3rd deer on public land since Sept. 15, three Sunday evenings in a row. I took my 9 year old boy out to bowhunt and was setting up in standing corn. We bought a ghost blind a couple weeks ago to hunt out of this season. This things works slick and that is what we used tonight. Google it if you don't know what it is, it works! I knew some deer were bedding in these standing corn fields. In between was a narrow strip of tree with a waterhole on one end. We walked in down wind and set up near the water source. 30 min. before dark two deer come in and one blows at us. I believe he smelled us for a second. Anyway, deer ran out of range for my son and my boy didn't get a shot and he told me to kill him. Spike with 1 inch horns, I thought it was a doe when I shot it. Here comes the wild part, we packed up our stuff and started to track the deer. I have never been a great tracker and we only had 1 headlamp between us. My son found the arrow and blood and started tracking. He followed the blood for 100 yards and tracked up my deer. I honestly could not have tracked it better myself. He was like a pro. Deer ran toward the road and made the cart pull shorter. Unreal evening, first deer from the ground, first time I have ever hunted with my boy, and first time I have killed 3 deer in Sept. If my season ended tomorrow it would be a 100% success! I will take a couple pics of the deer tomorrow, even though it is a dink maybe it can count as my second buck for the extra 50 points. I will check on that. Thanks for listening.

17. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe trout!

18. ZXTMike

ZXTMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man, Trout. You are a killing machine!!!!

19. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Nice going Trout!

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

20. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ill be getting in my stand on sunday for the first time this season bright and early but there is only one problem...it going to be 77 degrees. The first time i looked up the weather it said 64 then 70 the next and now 77. Im hoping that there going to be wrong and it will be in the 60's.