Team 32-No Show Heroes

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by grizzly1530, Sep 9, 2013.

1. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, thats some motivation for sure! Wouldn't mind a crack at that, thats for sure!

2. MMG

MMG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have any hit list bucks on camera?

3. grizzly1530

Dislikes Received:
    Not here. I had a great six on camera last year, but haven't seen anything of him on camera. I'll see if I can find a pic from last year. No one got him last year off of our land or any neighboring lands so I think he's still there, but I don't know for sure.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

4. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great job backcountry, they're so much fun to hunt. I've got 4 cameras that have been sitting for about a month that I'm anxious to check this weekend. hopefully there'll be a hit list.

5. BuckBro

BuckBro Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    wow.. nice work on the elk guys. i hunted unit 18 in early september and got skunked. like MNpurple, i got rained on every single day. pretty close to getting singed by lightning a few times as well. all hell was breaking loose in Boulder the day i flew out. by the way, nonresident tag soup is a very expensive dish.

can't wait to get the season rolling. October 5th is when i can start chasing bucks in PA. best of luck to everyone this season.

6. illinoishunter13

illinoishunter13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    finally getting the bow back tomorrow. bear took a while to ship the limb to the shop. 6 days and i can't wait to see where i'm at with my groups.

7. Xsoldier416

Xsoldier416 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great to hear Illinois. Quick question for everyone though: I was shooting broad heads yesterday and they are dropping a lot faster than my field tips. I'm shooting MX3s 100 grain on a 350(?) grain arrow, pretty sure that's total weight. I don't remember exactly and I'm at work so I don't have the specs from the shop on me. Either way they were coming in lower than my field tips. Still good right to left. I can actually use my 30 pin for a 20 yard shot with my broad heads, same for my 40 pin at 30 yards. I think I'm just going to use it as is because it's accurate, just off by a pin. Anyone have any idea why this might be? I tried paper tuning the rest and it really seemed that the current setting was the best.

8. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like your bow might be slightly knock high or depending on what rest you have, spring pressure on TM hunter style might not be enough. If its a drop away style, it may be falling to fast. Paper should show this though.
    [​IMG]
    Tail Left: (often Indicates a weak spined arrow)
    1. Decrease arrow draw weight. Back out both limb bolts a quarter turn at a time. Make certain to adjust both limbs equally to avoid changing the tiller and arrow nock point position on the bow string. Also make certain to avoid backing the limb bolts out too far to avoid injury to the bowhunter and damage to the bow.

2. Decrease arrow point weight. A lighter point will have some effect on increasing arrow shaft stiffness. Too light of a point however, may result in unstable arrow flight.

3. If steps 1 and 2 don't reduce the length of the tear to your satisfaction, you may need to change to a stiffer arrow shaft.

Tail Right: (often indicates an arrow that is too stiff)

1. Increase arrow draw weight. Tighten both limb bolts a quarter turn at a time. Make certain to adjust both limbs equally to avoid changing the tiller and arrow nock point position on the bow string.

2. Increase field point weight. A heavier field point will have some effect on decreasing arrow shaft stiffness. Arrow speed may be reduced.

3. If steps 1 and 2 don't reduce the length of the tear to your satisfaction, you may need to change to a weaker arrow shaft.

To Correct a Tail High

1. Move the arrow nocking point down in small increments.

2. If using a launcher or shoot-thru type arrow rest, move the arrow support arm up. Increasing spring tension can also be helpful.

3. Check for arrow fletching interference and adjust arrow rest position as needed.

To Correct a Tail Low:

1. Move the arrow nocking point up in small increments.

2. If using a launcher or shoot-thru type arrowrest, move the arrow support arm down. Reduced spring tension can also be helpful for even finer adjustments.

***NOTE: WHEN PAPER TUNING A LEFT HANDED BOW RIGHT AND LEFT TEARS ARE REVERSED***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

9. Xsoldier416

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. When I moved the rest a quarter inch, I got the tail low, so I moved it back to where it was. When paper tuning how far away from the paper should you be? Also would you recommend changing anything right now, since I can still hit very accurately just using the pin below it? I wouldn't be taking any 40 yards shots anyways, because I don't think I'm quite good enough just yet.

10. Polecatmasten

Dislikes Received:
    If you moved it a quarter of an inch...That seems like a lot. When you decide to adjust it, move in very small increments. I would start with 1/32-1/16 . Confidence is a big part of the bowhunting equation. If you are comfortable hunting with it the way it is, I would leave it alone until after season. Just don't forget which pin is for what distance )
    If you can mark your rest where is now, you can always adjust .. Then go back to the original, if it doesn't get better. If your muzzys are just an inch or so low, it's probably just a very slight adjustment anyway :) good luck

11. BuckBro

BuckBro Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380283123.515159.jpg one week to go in PA. This is about as good of a buck as I've seen the past couple years around here. Do you Midwest guys realize how good you have it?

Who has been getting out so far and what are you seeing?

12. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Going out for my first deer sit tonight. Will be heading into a small state section that I know holds a few deer. Main purpose is a doe but if a big buck decides to comes by I will not complain;)

13. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Buck Bro, if thats a nice buck for the area, then he's a trophy. Its all relative to where you hunt. If we all compared ourselves to Iowa I'd take up opossum hunting.

Going to get out for the first sits of the year this weekend, supposed to be a cool front coming through tonight, here we go!

14. BuckBro

BuckBro Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you purple. He's definitely top of my list, only behind an older 7 point buck that I've seen around a few times. I'd be thrilled to have a chance at either. I just mean to say that I'd probably fall out of my stand if one of those bucks pictured earlier walked under me.

15. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In my stand now. Hoping for the best. First time I have ever hunted this spot, internet scouting only

Sent from my soup can and string

16. illinoishunter13

illinoishunter13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sadly haven't got my bow back yet but now want it more after this pull. so happy with this

Attached Files:

17. grizzly1530

Dislikes Received:
    Went out for a morning sit on Saturday, and saw a few does about 75 yards out. I was on the ground, and tried to stalk, but they started to act nervous when I got to 50 yards. I obviously need work on my stalking skills, haha. I didn't want to mess the area up, so I just waited, hoping they'd come closer, but they never did. First time out on the public spot I internet scouted only, so I was happy with the hunt overall. Hopefully with more seasons opening up soon, we can get on the board!

18. Xsoldier416

Dislikes Received:
    Season starts tomorrow! Unfortunately I am not going to be able to take work off, so I won't be going out til Saturday. Cannot wait. :bow:

19. MMG

MMG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got an old buck on cam. Named him flattop a couple of years ago. Always been wide and short. Probably won't score very high. Thought I would share.[​IMG][​IMG]

20. Polecatmasten

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like he's wide and heavy
    Great looking buck !!