So I am thinking about changing my release.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by wvhunter, Sep 22, 2013.

1. wvhunter

wvhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am thinking about either a back tension release or a thumb break release. Some of the ones I am looking at are SCOTT LONGHORN HEX, Stanislawski Black Ice DS Release, or the Scott Exxus. I would like to know if anyone has experience with these releases and the suggestions of people on here. I have always used a wrist strap release but would like to change because I have heard that they can help improve your form and the you can keep that if your switch to something else later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think your best route is to try one out. I shot with one a few times at my local shop before I bought one. Make sure it's for you. They aren't for everyone.
    The key is proper form.

3. massmam

massmam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive got the tru-ball max pro 4 will never go back to wrist love it,,,

4. wolbear

wolbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Carter Insatiable and it is far superior to any wrist strap release I have used. Feel like I have a more solid anchor.

5. KYhunter

KYhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Be sure and try them out before purchasing one! I shot one of my buddies one time and though that I would love it. After buying one for myself and shooting multiple time with it, I soon found out that it wasn't for me and it was very uncomfortable to me.

6. Locum51

Locum51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely try releases out and just remember when you switch to a different release you may have to tune your bow to accommodate for it.

7. wvhunter

wvhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So by tune my bow what do I have to do to it I figure I will be hitting a little different and would have to adjust my sight but what else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. KYhunter

KYhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I changed my release 2 years ago, my bow shot exactly the same. You just have to shoot until you get as comfortable with your new release as you were with your old release.

9. twillcox

twillcox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a four finger thumb release and i like it would not recommend a back tension release if you are hunting.

10. Revonoc6

Revonoc6 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a super cheap Tru-fire Patriot and can see no reason to change... Don't fix what ain't broken.

11. whiskeyonsunday

whiskeyonsunday Newb

Dislikes Received:
    some people like them and some don't, you are likely to hear arguments on both sides. ive been told BT takes a bit of time and tons of practice to get comfortable with. id say try a few out to make sure you got the one you want...most of them aren't cheap.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to a thumb-trigger release earlier this year (Tru-Fire Hardcore) and love it. I feel like I'm shooting better than ever. However it took me a few solid weeks of shooting to really get comfortable with it. With hunting season already open, or soon to open, I wouldn't change right now. If you're shooting okay with your current release I wouldn't mess with anything and then make your change once the season ends. Just my 2 cents.

13. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I wouldn't change anything this close to season.

I shot a friends back tension release, and it caused me to hold my pin more steady on the target resulting in better accuracy. Not sure how it would work for hunting, but I liked it... Still shoot a trigger tho..

14. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went from a cheap tru-fire wrist release from wal mart with a super long trigger pull to a Scott Wolf wrist release with a hair trigger and I am shooting lights out now. One of the best purchases I ever made.

15. whiskeyonsunday

whiskeyonsunday Newb

Dislikes Received:
    im thinking about getting one myself, i love my hardcore wrist release but i hear wonders about a handheld...just curious, where do you guys anchor when using a handheld relase? and would i need to adjust my peep any?

16. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to this last year. Its the best release ive ever used. It did take about a week to get use to though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

17. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Carter Chocolate Lite and love it! I think Carter has some top notch products. I also do agree with JZ and wouldn't switch now with hunting season open or just about open. I also recommend shooting a few of them first before buying one. Like stated here earlier in the thread they are not for everyone. If you like it and want to go from there you can use what you gained from each one you've tried and make the best decision you can with making the correct choice for whats best for you. Good Luck!!!

my carter.jpg

18. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hear nothing but good things about Tru-Fire. My buddy had a SCOTT and the inner spring completely failed on him and shot a wild arrow while other times he pulls the trigger and nothing happens. His release is only a few years old and he takes care of it so he's since switched to Tru-Fire. I use a finger tab so I can't really comment but I just wanted to say that Tru-Fire seems to be the way to go.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  19. JamesxCreedx

JamesxCreedx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a thumb release for a few weeks and just couldnt get consistent groups so i went back to my wrist. Just makee sure you try out whatever your wanting to buy.

20. navy_bowhunter

navy_bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Justin,

You think you can post a picture of the new release.