Is a range finder necessary?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BowMaster5, Sep 19, 2013.

1. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's only necessary if you need it ; )

Seriously though, if you can judge distance, then no you don't need it. If you can't judge distance or are poor at it, either practice and get better or splurge on a range finder.

2. USFAN51473

USFAN51473 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's not necessarily needed, but, it is nice to know exact distances.

3. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with everyone else.

They are 1 tool that maybe isn't a "MUST" have but they sure do add alot to your effective range and confidence.

I left mine in the truck once and was half way to my stand on a very long hike. I turned around and retrieved it and then went hunting. That's how much I like them.

I used to be big into 3d and I'm a pretty good at judging yardage but like was stated earlier, 20' up in a tree in the woods, I suck at it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

4. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe in rangefinders. For me part of bow hunting Is learning yardages using your head, not a gadget. I no longer hunt with a compound but I did for nearly 10 years. I never took shots past 20 yards. I missed a couple deer in the 10 years I used a compound but It was from peaking or dropping my bow arm, not misjudging yardage. It's actually pretty easy to do If you practice learning your yardages. When I was younger I would look at something and say what I thought the yardage was and then walk it off. I got very good at it. I wouldn't have gotten good at it though If I wouldn't of put the effort and time into practicing. My mother also bow hunts. She struggles with how far the deer is away and has guessed a few times wrong. When I throw up stands for her now I walk off all of the shooting lanes/spots she can shoot and tell her the yardage. In the end though she's gotta learn this on her own. It's very doable, just takes a little practice and time.

5. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my first rangefinder a couple of weeks ago. I wish I would have bought one ten years ago. Love this thing and I'm like a kid with a new toy, ranging everything around the house :) . If you have the $$, its a helpful tool. If you don't, just step the yardage off.

6. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    millions of deer have been killed without range finders. I think they can be a bit of a crutch. What happens if you've hunted for 3 or 4 years always used a rangefinder only to have the batteries go out on the biggest buck you've ever seen? You gonna hold off on the shot? probably not if you are being honest. So...you are going to guess when you have no practice guessing?

They are a great tool for long distance 40+yards. But you should have a friend move your target to unknown distances as you have your back turned, be forced to turn around, estimate yardage, pick the pin and shoot within a few seconds. This will hone your skills and help you learn yardage. If you do this and get proficient at it you won't need one.

However, if you don't like to practice, go buy a rangefinder please.

7. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would add one to your hunting tools as soon as you are able. I use mine to define my limits within the woods. When I set a stand or pick a spot, I range things out and won't normally shoot past 30 yards. In fact, my buck last year was my furthest yet at what I later ranged 31 yards. So when I set up, I note the trees and objects at 30 yards, know I'll shoot inside that perimeter and don't use the rangefinder again. I If you're hunting a field, though, say a ground blind at the edge of a crop field or food plot, or a stand if you like, then I think its an invaluable tool when the deer is coming in. You might think that buck is 30 yards off but he easily could be 50. During the heat of the moment, judging yardages in such a wide open spot such a freshly cut corn field can get dicey if you haven't previously paced it off. Good luck.

8. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like Schultzy, I spent a lot of time learning the art of judging yardage when I was young. You can get scary good at judging yardages out to 50 yards. A range finder is not a requirement but is a nice luxury to have. IF, you spend the time to practice judging yardage, you can get very good at it. If you don't have the time, buy a range finder.

9. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the market for one after cleanly missing critters on spot and stalk damage hunts this summer and a doe on opening morning from a stand. My strategy is to try and buy a used quality unit at the same price as an entry level unit.

10. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Necessary No, Helpful Yes! I always find my ranges when up in the tree by using landmarks like many do and then I put the ranger away. Love my Bushnell

11. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't bow hunt without one. 5 yards off of estimating a shot could be the difference between finding your game after a 30yard blood trail or not finding them after a 4 hour blood trail.