Browns trade Trent Richardson...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Siman/OH, Sep 18, 2013.

1. USFAN51473

USFAN51473 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Joe Banner screwing up another franchise...this is what Eagles fans had to deal with the whole time he was here.

2. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't generalize us all. As a Packers fan then you of all people know how building a team for the future works. I like Richardson and do think he is good, but I certainly understand the dynamics of getting what the Browns truly need, which is a QB. Since the Browns have returned they've had a few decent running backs, but because they've gone through 19 starting QBs, they haven't been able to improve. We are close to having a great defense provided we get another CB to go opposite of Haden, but until we get a franchise QB and another WR to go opposite of Josh Gordon, our offense will not move the ball. I'm not saying the Browns came on top here or even defending the trade, trust me, but what I am doing is rationalizing their plan and explaining why they did it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  3. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Moss was picked #21....so you never know what you will get

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    He fell because of behavioral issues and Marshall. If he would have stayed at Florida State he would have went top 5 easy. But it was just an example of a great receiver anyways...

5. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    What im getting at it this:

No matter what, the Browns were headed for a top 10 pick. So you get your QB right there. Adding a 20th-ish pick in the first round isnt worth losing a solid franchise running back. They have the money to spend in free agency next year (With receivers like Kenny Britt, James Jones, Eric Decker, Hakeem Nicks and Jaremy Maclin available). Now they dont have the stability of a run game to help said Rookie QB.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your assuming they believed him to be a "Franchise" running back. Perhaps, after having him and watching him play and practice, the decided he was just another guy.

7. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If they are sitting outside the top 3 picks, chances are their QB may be gone. Now they have leverage to move up if need be.

8. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    In 15 games he had 950 yards and 11 TDs. What more could a rookie running back be expected to produce? Honestly?

9. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    More than 3.6 yards per carry????

10. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Cleveland O line. Nuff said.

11. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Great running backs make bad O-Lines look better.

12. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so how's the franchise RB in Minnesota working out for them? Awesome running back, tons of yards, work horse but zero Super Bowls and only 1 win in the playoffs with him. He's got maybe a few years left in him being an elite RB before he starts to wear down and slow down and still they have no QB or supporting cast who can help them make a run in the playoffs. So I'd beg to differ than the thought that having a franchise RB is better than having a franchise QB and other supporting cast. With 2 first rounders, 2 third rounders, and 2 fourth rounders, the Browns can pick up a lot of impact players right away and still have the cap to resign their good players coming off contract.

Cleveland's O line would be one of the best in the league if their RG wasn't hurt. Cousins replaced the RG and is terrible. Other than that they have an oustanding cast with Thomas and Mack.

13. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Your not reading my posts properly. Cleveland had a chance at BOTH franchise RB and QB. If they would have just kept Trich they could still have drafted a QB high. The Browns were not going to win many games and there are a number of NFL prospect QBs availible. Would they have the #1 pick? Possibly. But they FOR SURE would get a top 3-7 pick.

Minnesota does too well, doesnt get a high draft pick and they have there cards all in with Christian Ponder which is counterproductive anyways.

You seem to be missing the part about speeding up a rebuilding process that started in 1999. Who cares about having a ton of picks in the first 3 rounds if the previous 14 seasons worth of high draft picks are traded away to start at square 1 again every year. Lol.

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you aren't reading mine either. I like your post because we agree for the most part and you must have missed where I said I wasn't defending the trade, I was rather explaining why they did it. My only reservation on your post was that a franchise RB is not as important as a franchise QB, hence my AP/Vikings rant. For Cleveland, they said they don't believe Richardson is the type of back that fits their offense, he's more physical and not a fast scat back like they wanted. He was picked by the last front office as was Weeden. So I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a QB and a RB. Do I hate rebuilding, yes, but it's also the first year of a new front office and this front office claims to be long term who doesn't want to start over year after year. And with that, you can't expect them to waste time trying to make guys picked from another front office fit into their scheme if it's not who they want. They basically got a pick back for a redo.

15. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get that a great running back won't win you the super bowl... but you have to start somewhere. A QB is DEFINITELY a higher need than RB for the Browns...but they already have a first round pick that would have been a VERY high pick anyway. What are they going to draft with their SECOND first round pick now? That is my point.

Get a QB high first round regardless. They traded Trent Richardson, a rookie RB who put up great stats for a second try in the first round. What will they get, a WR? An O-Lineman (arguably as important as a RB for them as well as atrocious as their line is)?

They get a top 2-3 QB this year regardless. Now they get another first round player in exchange for Richardson. That is NOT a good trade in my book.

16. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sums it up for me. What COULD have been.....

17. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Great post, and EVERYONE (media outlet wise) is saying this right now. Is it true...or is it rationalizing the move?

18. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely did not get their pick back for a redo...He was the third pick in the draft. What will Indy's pick be upper teens to mid twenties? Plus what about the other picks they gave up to move up a spot to take a guy the Vikes were NEVER going to take anyways.

I wish the Vikings had the balls to see their choice(ponder) was not going to be elite and cut ties so early though. I just don't think they will get a player even close as good as Richardson where they are going to be picking from, unless they use it to move up with their other pick.

19. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Richardson was over hyped coming out of college....a lot easier to run the ball for Bama versus the NFL

Remember Mark Ingram?

20. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was waiting on this, Ingram is a saint, so as a falcons fans he sucks regardless of BAMA ties...but they have 10 running backs down there and throw it 50 times a game. None of their backs get numbers, except their little fella sproles, an all his value comes from pass catching. Again, he is a Saint so he SUCKS, an the Saints Suck. I was listening to an interview with Trent here locally, he said his friend called and said man how does it feel to be traded to a contender? Richardson said what, I am a Brown. He actually learned of his trade via a friend and media (radio or news I am not sure). Again, I could care less of his BAMA ties, he is gone, and did not come to the Falcons so I am not on his nuts.....but if it's true he heard this through media...then that's another example of why the Browns are bottom of the barrel.