Team 16 - Fatal Trajectory

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by POWERHAWK_11, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It sure feels more like archery season this morning! Clear skies, and 45 degrees. A welcome change from the triple digit daytime temps of a week ago! Still hoping for some rain, and an early frost. Enjoy the weekend everyone!

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to you lucky few going out in a few hours!

3. Lt.smoke

Lt.smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck team... To those whose seasons have already kicked off... Wish everyone luck this year... I cant wait until October when season kicks in

4. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hopefully tomorrow is my lucky day, hope a big fat doe walks by

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck tomorrow.

Hoping a few teammates were elbow deep in some guts today!

6. Hunteropel

Hunteropel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well no blood spilled on my hunt, only got to hunt the morning, boss called and told me I had to be at work at 6pm and it is a 5 hour drive, but did see 3 nice bucks and a really wild non-typical, looked young but had a lot of bone on its head, treestand location wasn't right but that is fixed, I Hope... I wont get to go again till our season opens in Illinois..

7. ArchArrow123

ArchArrow123 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys.
    I had a pretty exciting Sunday and managaged to get a few points for the team. The weather started out nice at 58 degrees with some wind out of the south which worked out perfect for our setup. I was with one of my hunting buddies and the plan was for him to shoot some video of me hunting since he knew my season would be a short one with my surgery coming up. He promised to do that several months ago and since that time he's been seeing a few really nice bucks at another property that he hunts on. He was true to his word and still hunted with me instead of targeting one of those big guys. We were hunting out of a tree that I had never been in before. As we are driving to the property he mentions that I will have to sit down the entire time since there is a branch directly above the seat. Okay, I've always stood while shooting, but that's not gonna stop my hunt. The morning was pretty quiet except for the squirrels. A couple of hours passed we thought we might not see anything based on typical trail cam pictures we had. Stan was getting restless and stood up to stretch a little. All of a sudden a couple of deer came in from the south through the wooded area. It was so thick that we couldn't see their legs until they were about 15 yds away. Two mid-size bucks came in and split before they hit the opening. I'm thinking one was roughly 115 and the other 120. The larger one went to the right. And was now directly to my right. I was thinking at the pace they were going they would soon be gone. I asked Stan if he was on him with the video camera and he said "go!" I drew back and my right arm hit the tree behind me so I couldn't come to full draw AND I was seated. So I tried leaning further away, my elbow hit the tree causing my release and arrow to fly just behind him. They both bolted. Turns out that Stan actually said "No!" He couldn't see it and it turned out that he didn't have the video rolling anyways. We were both embarrassed by our misfortunes and tried to laugh it off, but I was really disappointed in myself.
    The afternoon was really hot. We had just climbed into the stand, sweat rolling, when a doe came to the edge of the treeline and just stood there. After a while she walked back from where she came. I told Stan that I bet we see her later in the evening. Around 6:30 she came back with what we call "Ugly Buck", a spike that had already broken a main beam. This time we were more prepared but again, when I had a shot, Stan didn't and she was starting to walk away behind the trees. I waited for him to give the okay as her chest was disappearing behind the trees. He realized it was the last chance and said to shoot just at the last moment I had to hit the vitals. She went about 25 yds and that was it. Ugly Buck hung around for a while before he moved on and we retrieved our weekend reward. Stan was really generous with his time on that opening day and is certainly what anyone would call a great friend. If I get around to editing the video anytime soon I'll post a link.

IMG_0997.jpg IMG_0998.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  8. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright!!! Points on the board, and a good story of the hunt. Nice job getting the team in the + column. Congratulations on a nice hunt, and a clean, humane harvest. :tu:

9. Lt.smoke

Lt.smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the hunt

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Congrats on the success, first 50 of many more to come.

2 weeks from tomorrow the season opens here in IL but I won't be getting out until the weekend. Going to do my best to put 50 up as well, hopefully the heat doesn't make it's return. That will be my only limiting factor to go or not.

11. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice. Now we start our run to the top.

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I feel sorry for those other teams on the leader board, they've been placed in a false sense of believing they're in first place.

13. MassBow413

Dislikes Received:
    congrats nice doe, I didn't see anything the first evening hunt but I still got the whole season left. Was nice to sit it a tree again

14. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe!! Last weekend we did our final preparations and camera check. My buddy will get down to the property in Ohio before I will this year. Several real good bucks has him fit to be tied. Hoping to get the kids out first for the first few weekends in October then I will step it up and get after them.

15. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    season starts next Saturday here in Texas. cant sleep already. my son in WI shot a nice doe on Sunday but he is not on our team.

16. Hunteropel

Dislikes Received:
    Well the heat is back but only for a day or two.. They have found a few more dead deer around us but nothing like Montana, I have a buddy who lives in Missoula and they have found between 30-40 deer in the last week..They are finding quite a few in northern pike county to southern Peoria county here in Illinois, some big ones....Only 11 more days here in Illinois, hope the weather stays cool!!!!!!

17. MassBow413

Dislikes Received:
    Its too hot to hunt here too, waiting till next week

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    2 weeks from today will be my first sit!

19. Hunteropel

Dislikes Received:
    Got off work early this morning and walked back to my clover field and sat in the blind to see if anything would come in to the field in the rain and watched 4 does and 7 fawns come in a feed for over an hour...Sweet Deal, I am ready!!!!!!!!!

20. Lt.smoke

Lt.smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry about being MIA fellas... Working alot and working Diligently trying to make sure all my gear is ready for season :)... I am so pumped and ready to roll its not funny