**** Team 9 Double Lung Liquidators *****

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by bowhunter448, Aug 19, 2013.

1. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's not good. That's really shady too.

2. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't make it out today so hopefully next Friday! Good luck guys.

3. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welp...tomorrow is the big day. The season opener. Today will be spent making all my last minute preparations and getting ready for tomorrow. I can't wait to get in that tree.

4. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hit a doe last nite, new bow, new arrows, lighted nocks, camera on........doe with no fawns at 15 yards? what was not to like?

A rushed shot, over confidence, who knows.......looked like a good shot, upon further review of the tape, all that could be seen was the arrow streaking through the air via the lighted nock. (camera does not deal well with no light and I guess 30 minutes before the end of shooting in the woods qualifies as low light)

No blood till about 70 yards, drip drip, decent blood for about 50 yards after that, trailed it by drips for another 200 yards, through tall grass, nothing up on the grass, just drops here and there.......thinking I dropped my arm, possibly with a some hand torque so low and towards the brisket......

Great way to start out the season.

5. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    good luck tracking her down. Hopefully you find her.

6. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck out there. What kind of prep work are you doing to get ready?

7. Rampaige

Dislikes Received:
    All my camo is washed and my tree is picked out so ill shoot a little bit this afternoon. I also got a new property so I have to get some permission slips signed. Other than that tonight I'll pack my backpack and get my climber and bow in the truck, sharpen my knives and broadheads, wipe down my arrows and bow with scent free wipes, and wash my boots in scent-away. I think that's all I have left.

8. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    back from my morning hunt!!! didn't get to shoot..lol!!! had a doe come up to my tree and smell it...could not get the shot off on her! I was drawn back...but didn't like the shot presentation, so I drew down. don't want to risk it, I have all year to make it happen! it was awesome being out again! took me a bit longer to get up the tree in my climber, even though I practiced over a dozen times, in the offseason to keep myself in "tune", its different in the dark and when it counts! I was still up and settled in 1 1/2 before sunrise!! all in all still better than sitting on the couch! cant wait to get back out there!

9. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    a few action pics from this morning.....LOL

opener1.jpg

front view over looking the stream, there's 2 crossings in front of me 15 yards and 35 yards out...all lanes cleared openerfront.jpg

My right side (im a lefty) 3-4 runs from 5 yards to 45 yards out running horizontal

openerright.jpg

I was self filming...lol kinda fun, but man its tricky! im of course there to kill deer so if need be ill forget the camera to get the kill!!

10. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a nice location Joe. Can't wait to see some of your film. I've thought about self filming, but I don't think that it's for me. Hunting seems to have become some therapy for me.

11. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Does wiping down your bow help do you think? I would have never thought about that.

12. wiaxle

wiaxle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, got out tonite, rained all morning, supposed to be rain free all evening (it wasn't) saw a couple deer early (couple yearlings still in velvet, handfull of does/fawns) it started misting, and had a yearling 6 pointer come in to the apple tree I was sitting off of, new stand, so I was waiting gonna try and pull on the buck, check limb clearances, angles what not, never hurts to know where your shots will be, and the little buck snaps his head a behind him (almost towards me) and standing there 16 yards away broadside is a buck, I swing the bow over (full draw) and put the pin on him, then I took a peek at his headgear, probably about a 145ish 10 pointer. No brainer, take the shot? (15" spread, 10" G2's, 8" G3's, 4-6" G4's, 5" brows, 20ish beams, 16" mass for those keeping score at home)

Well, after letting down, and looking at him, several things said he is not of the age I want, smaller pedicles, beam mass was nice but not in that 17-18" range, body still had a bit of the lanky look (no pot belly, no fat folds on the neck) by now he is still standing broadside, but looking away from me, drew on him again, even had my finger on the trigger, he moved up the trail, now about 10 yards away, drew on him again....just couldn't make myself do it.

Worst part about it, this is the biggest buck I have on camera for the year (i think it is the same one)

I have eaten tag soup the last few years, been hunting age over rack size, just hoping this isn't something that I will regret as the year continues.

13. Rampaige

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly? I have no idea. I have a scent regimen that is perhaps over board. I am meticulous when it comes to preparing scent free. I'm not a huge scentlok guy but I go above and beyond to make myself as invisible-smelling as possible.

Wiaxel, I hope you get another chance on him. Or maybe an even nicer buck during the rut. If you ask me, I say pull the trigger on him. But we don't get many 145" deer where I'm from.

14. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fellas,
    Just got all caught up on the team activity, Good Stuff - I've been MIA on a CO archery elk hunt. This is a DIY, OTC tag on public land...4th year in a row. Very hard hunting but I always love it, anyone can do it...4 of us drove out, bought tags at Walmart, put up a tent and eat out of a cooler...BUT, this year was different...I finally got an ELK!
    I shot a 6x6 bull last Tuesday (and also found a 6x6 Skull 2 days before that). I can share more details later, but it was a fantastic trip...my Dad was there, and good buddy and his Dad...the pack out that night in the rain is a night we'll never forget.

Couple Quick pics:
    IMG_1695.jpg IMG_20130912_103439_169.jpg

Bring on deer season!!!

15. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice Matt. Very cool to see a long standing tradition and hard work pay off.

16. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Ok. that makes sense as far as control. I know that I an a little controlling when it came to my hunts.

And wiaxel, I do to hope you get another shot at him, our another guy that makes you happy.

17. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, so I've been reading and getting into the field vicariously through you guys. I've finally moved on from the tag soup taste this year and started to put together plans/goals for next year. First, starting tonight, I'm going to get back into shape. I've got a home gym that I haven't used much. After hiking them hills, I now know that I am definitely out of shape. Two, I'm going to attempt to split seasons. I'll be putting in for the archery antelope hunt next year, which is in August, and then the late season for deer. I'll do a little late season scouting before deciding buck vs doe tag. Late season is in November.

I will also add a new pack, boots, lighted nocks, go from 4" vanes to 2" blazers.

And finally, I'll do a little shed hunting and actually scout this year, so I can contribute more than just my captaincy to become back to back bh.com deer champions!

18. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sure like seeing all the hard work everyone is putting into their season - and some of these great bucks you all are chasing. And Tim, we couldn't ask for a better captain - you are doing great keeping all these guys focused!

Anxiously awaiting our first Team success photo - Shoot Straight guys!

19. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the great bull elk!

20. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    awesome job guys!!! looks like im going out on Friday night and Saturday morning!!!! WoooHooo!!! so far away though.....lol