I swear, my Covert hates any temps over 80 degrees

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Buck Magnet, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My Covert Black 60 has been a very solid camera, especially for the price. I honestly have no idea how many pics it has taken so far, but if I were to guess it is close to 30,000 photo's on one set of batteries and they are still reading 50%. My only complaint is that this camera will take pictures with nothing in front of it any time the temps creep above 80 degrees. I have it adjusted to the lowest sensitivity and it is still happening. Maybe I am spoiled from my Reconyx, but this camera just seems to take pictures when it wants to. I have turned down the sensor and trimmed all grass from in front, but after todays check I realized that this only helps when the temps remain in the 70's or lower. My camera read over 5,900 photos in the last 9 days and I would guess that more than 2,500 photos were taken on days when the temps went into the 80's and they all were between 12:00-4:00 p.m with nothing in the shot.

Don't get me wrong, I like the camera, but this is a problem that I see browsed over far too often. These cameras have great battery life and take amazing photo's, but the blank photo's and the fact that they will trigger before an animal enters the actual field of view of the camera is a problem.

2. jlucas1991

jlucas1991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have the same problem. when checking i just skip all the pics from about 0900 to 1700ish. it sucks cause you cant leave the camera out long unless you have big memory cards and then checking becomes a real hassle trying to sort through it all. all of my coverts do it but only in the field. move them to the woods and no problems.

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting. I only have one, and it's in cover, so it doesn't see temp spikes like that often. I have noticed a lot of empty frame shots around mid-day, however.

4. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't noticed that yet at all on any of my 5 - 2012 Red 40's.

5. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried to move the camera to a different spot or angle it a different way? Alot can cause a false trigger like sun peeking through a tree line in the background.

If you are worried about the field of view, try running two small pieces of tape on the side of the sensor and run it in 3 shot mode.

I personally dont mind the nose pictures. I came from a different camera brand and having nose pictures assures me the camera wont miss a thing.
    If a deer is on a full run I can get 3 pictures of it. I want my camera to take as many pictures as it can anything warm blooded near the camera.

6. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yea sorting through all those pics is a nightmare