Official team 25 - Rack Nasties thread

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by indynotch50, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well deer cane sucks! My camera was on it for two weeks and I got a picture of one doe and she wasn't near it. Just walking by. I still have my old faithful spot. I've been trying to get a camera there but have been too busy. Maybe tomorrow.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used it once way back when it was first called Deer Cocain (if it was the same product). I put a bag of it out and the deer actually ate a great big hole in the ground but it took them a long time to start using it, I mean a long time....like a month. I actually gave up on it and forgot about it until one day I happened by the spot and about fell in the hole.

Not sure if it's the same product or even the same company or not, I assumed they changed the name to something less controversial.

3. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had little luck with that as well...

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I've put out all kinds of attractants, for camera purposes only, it's illegal to bait in Indiana. However, none have worked. I've put out the deer cocain stuff, it's the same as the deer cane Bob is using and some acron stuff... nothing. Good old corn works the best for me, which is strange because I'm surrounded by it.

5. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, yeah it's funny deer will go to shelled corn even with standing corn all around. Just like my feeder here at home I have corn in it and there's acres of 5' tall beans but they are still coming by the feeder for a bite now and again. They like the convenience of the shelled corn and they like adversity in their diet.

The only attractant I've ever had impressive results with is the C'mere Deer "Buck Juice" liquid concentrate. I pour it on corn and deer love it vs plain corn. I think they have several products but the liquid pour on is the only one I've bothered with as it's cheap and goes a long way because its a concentrate. I didn't put it on my feeder corn though, I didn't want wet corn in the feeder obviously.
    This stuff V
    >>>>>> http://www.cmeredeer.com/product/cmere-deer-attractant-concentrate <<<<<<

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  6. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow we really had to work hard this yesr. Setting up and moving baits for over a month. With very little to show for it in pictures.

Finally after the opening day we started getting some action. Shot this guy last weekend.

[​IMG]

No trophy but a great eater.

7. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Grats on the bear, Chago!

8. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So covey you build ponds? Do you know of any guys in the business in Ontario?

Where I live it's a gravel substrate. So water does hold well. Although I see ponds all around me. But many go dry by winter only to refill in spring. Is there a way to keep it full? I would love to add a acre pond on my property but always feared the dreaded dry pond.

9. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, been building ponds since I was 20 so 18 years now in the business. My folks have been in the business since 1970.

Yeah...problem soils but it's no big deal...all you need is a good watershed and a pond liner and a contractor willing and able to install it. There's a company in Iowa that sells them called "Agridrain" that I use a lot of their products and they are good to work with. I'm sure there is probably a better more local source for you to get them in Canada but I have no idea who up there.

You're in southern Ontario so you may not be too far away from the one Canadian I know, lol. I know one guy with a pancake house that makes maple syrup south of Ottawa around Spencerville. His name is Robert Drummond and it's called Drummond's Sugarbush & Pancake House I believe....Keep reading for relevant info, lol.....

Point is his family and brother also own and operate a construction business in the area. Don't know much about their construction business but Robert is an awesome guy and will be happy to give advice on contractors up there or help on any way he can. Tell him Brent Eason from Red Power forums sent you to him. Consequently...get a bottle of their syrup if you can pry it away from them, lol. Or if you're close....visit their pancake house sometime, I hear it's fabuloso. I can testify first hand on the quaility of their syrup.

Link below:
    http://www.realontario.ca/index.php/ontario-tourism-listing?pid=9970

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  10. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks ill look up the liner company.

Your friend is quite a ways away from me. About 5 hours drive.

I have dreamed of putting a large pond on the property that looks natural. I promise it's main purpose is not duck hunting... Lol

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I was afraid he might be a ways from you...Ontario is a big place, lol. I was hoping he (Robert) would be able to give you a recommendation on contractors that are close to you. Their construction company is pretty big so they probably have a lot of contacts around the country. Besides the guy travels and seems to know everybody in the world, lol.

What area are you in and I'll send him an email and ask if he knows anyone around. I expect he'll know where to get pond liners also.

The liners, if installed very well at all, don't look in-natural...it shouldn't even be noticable once installed and the pond is full.

12. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    How much does everyone shoot right now? Daily for me during sept. Got a new stabilizer today and my new t3s. Going to shoot again today.

13. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Every other day or so...

14. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't shot mine in a week or so, been too busy and it's been too hot.

15. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah man. I know I'm good to 55 yards. I typically shoot every or every other day, but it's been too hot for that.

16. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Jeeze, I'll be happy when it cools off! I started changing out rails on one of the dozers today ($5 fricken K worth) and about flippin died off. Shop fan blowing full tilt and all.....blagh.

17. buckhunter1988

buckhunter1988 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey good bear chago. I usually shoot everyday when I'm at home or at the hotel but I'm on my way to shreevesport Louisiana for work but should be back home by Saturday so I can go pull a couple cameras and possibly get a new laptop to post some pictures

18. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do everyday or so. This week I didn't touch it as its hotter then hell outside. We Canadians are built for winter not 110 degrees.

One tip if you guys have a large backdrop. I practice 60 an 70 yards everytime I practice the entire time. I don't shoot at close range until the end of my practice. Ill walk out to 70 and start letting them fly everyday. Then at the end of my practice ill go up to 30 yards and fling 3 and call it a day. What it does is it trains your eye to shoot long distance. So after a few days it seems normal. When you walk up to 30 which is a real hunting situation you feel like its point blank and you could never miss.

Try it

19. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Chago, That bear is bad *** buddy, I'm jealous for sure.

Yeah I am only out to 55 right now. I was at 60 but I got a new sight and made a lot of changes (2 different bows this summer). I'm finally where I want to be on gear so it's time to go for the distance. I'm hoping to be at the 100 yard mark by the time it's over (where I want to be).
    But you're right, if you're shooting 70 yards, when you come up to 30, it's a chip shot.

We only have 3 weeks until it's woods time!!!

20. jvanhees

Dislikes Received:
    I do the exact same thing. Plus I always try to make my first shot of the day a kill shot on my 3d target. You don't get warm up shots when hunting.