A knife is really sharp when............

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Sep 3, 2013.

1. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check out one of the work sharps. THEY PUT A SERIOUS EDGE ON A KNIFE. I also own a couple of z blades they are the throw away versions of the havalons

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. srtiek

srtiek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    it cuts you so fast you don't have time to register the pain

3. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had one for years, that was lost in the woods after gutting a deer, bought a relatively in-expensive "Remington" fixed blade that cuts 'em up quick and easy, and I paid $5 on clearance for it. I bear a small scar in my right palm as evidence of its sharpness, and it will cut through ribs, and even crack a pelvis when used right. I can pick up a scalpel at the hospital if I want want, actually have a couple, which are great for fine cutting, but for a "man's" knife, I'd rather not use a $40-50 scalpel. I have a Stihl Chainsaw knife I picked up over 20yrs ago that I've used from everything to skinning rabbits, to cutting cans to make spitters, to even cutting shingles when I was roofing, and it still holds an edge, albeit a little shorter than it once was, it still holds a great edge for about anything I want to do with it. Another excellent $4-5 investment that has been used many times over.

For butchering, I've found nothing better than a twin pack of filet and boning knives called "Baker's and Chef's" that you can pick up at Sam's Club for $8. Think I'm nuts, spend $8, and if you don't like 'em, I'll buy 'em off you for $5 and you'll only be out a few $$$, but the pairing knives are AWESOME as well, though they did cost my brother and his wife a couple hundred $$$ because their daughter cut her finger to the bone and through a ligament paring and apple with one. If you have a Sam's Membership check 'em out, they are bar none the best knives you'll have in your kitchen or pack if you keep a butcher set in your pack.

4. Grummit

Grummit Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When I have finished building it and put the final buff on it the hairs run away screaming before the edge even gets close to them

5. Black-ice

Black-ice Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When it cuts right threw the pelvick bone on a bear and goes gut hook deep in your knee. I was bleeding more than the bear!

6. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    when, after using it, you look to see why your hand feels wet and you can see the bone in your thumb. hHappened to me this week.