Newbie Treestand hunting questions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MichiHunter, Aug 31, 2013.

1. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone, I just joined the forum and made my first post in the introduction area, so I figured I'd get things started by asking as many dumb questions as I can. First off, for those who haven't seen my intro post, My name is Paul and I'm in SE Michigan. Here's a little background ab out me, I grew up hunting, finished Hunters Ed when I was 12 and have been bird hunting, pheasant, turkey, but mostly duck. About 5 years ago I had to put my dog down, and it broke my heart. I hung up the Mossberg and called it quits. That damn dog broke my heart.

Fast forward to now....My sons are 10 and 14 and they showed an interest in archery in the last 6 months, knowing there dad is a sucker for this stuff, they ended up with a Mission Craze and Riot. I personally picked up a used PSE. We went to a local shop where they spent a lot of time with us helping us sight everything in etc.

We've been practicing and getting ready for the season (Oct. 1). and as it's getting closer, I'm getting more and more anxious, trying to cover every little detail so my boys can possibly have a successful harvest this year. I remember hunting birds with my dad, and it's some of my fondest memories with my dad. Hopefully, I'll be able to pass along the same to my boys.

So now that you know a little about me, here are some of the questions that have had me scratching my head.

1. I think it's safe to say that of utmost importance is getting in and out of the woods quietly and undetected and being scent free. IF scent free is so important (and we agree that it is), how is it possible that hunters eat and drink while in a tree stand? Surely they can smell your snack or cup of coffee? Is everyone drinking water and eating celery? LOL. What snacks drinks do you guys typically bring with you? How do you pack them? backpack or other solution?

2. If approx. 7am is start time, how early do you want to be in your stand? Do you want to try and creep in the dark, possibly with the use of small flashlights? Maybe a couple of hours early 5am? Remember I'm having to manage 2 boys as well.

3. My 10 year old will be in a tree stand with me, any tips on having two people in such tight quarters together?

4. We're going out this weekend to practice using our tree stands. I've got harnesses, and 2 climbing stands, any tips on using these, and in what order things should be done so we can be as quiet as possible?

5. Preferences on arrows? I assume carbon? What's a good brand? I think I'd like to stick with a fixed broad head like the Muzzy 3. If you have a differing opinion please share.

The piece of property we will hunt is approx. 100 miles from my home, it's the same property I hunted duck. It has a lake to the south, then my property, then about 4-500 acres of corn and beans. We set out 2 trail cameras 2 weeks ago tomorrow, I'm going to pull the SD cards tomorrow afternoon, download and move them to another interesting location.

Sorry for the longwinded first post. I should stop now before I break the internet.

2. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on being an involved Dad, not enough of them
    1)Bow sits especially with youngsters s/b 3 hours max. What snacks are needed?
    2) Be in stand 20 minutes prior to legal shooting. Use cheap headlamps.
    3)2 in a tree= 2 stands. I started my kids in ground blinds tell 14. Then only with lifelines, vest and slip knot for climbing. My 12 yo killed 9 out of a tent till He ever tree stand hunted. Now at 19 he has over 50 kills and 2 in the book.
    4) Buy the inexpensive big game ladder stands ($120) vs. climbers and have them on preset trees.
    5)Pse radial x weaves, $86/dozen cut, delivered on ebay w/blazer vanes. Muzzys are fine.

Bowhunting for kids is hard enough w/o the treestand complications. 10 total preset stands, 2 tents would be good.
    keep it fun, SAFE and simple for now. Goodluck!

3. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Paul!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  4. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. I usually don't take anything with me snack wise, I eat before I go in and after I come out.

2. I think being 30 min - 1 hour before shooting light is optimal, gives plenty of time for things to settle down.

3 & 4. I would reccomend starting off with your young boys in a ground blind, especially since you are just starting. Thats how my dad and I first started hunting and I worked my way up to a treestand (I am 16 now). It can for sure be done in a treestand but the extra room in a ground blind might be a little more comfortable for you guys. Maybe save those climbers for later use, just my opinion though.

5. Carbon arrows are best to use with todays bows, Easton makes great arrows for all levels of archery experience. Muzzys are great heads from what I have heard, other than that a good durable steel head like the G5 montecs or NAP hellrazors would work great.

Have fun and be safe Paul! Don't forget Michigan has a youth hunt on September 21 and 22 for kids under 16, so you would be able to take your boys out there a little sooner than you planned!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  5. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Thanks for the great info. I keep reading about how difficult it is to hunt out of a ground blind as opposed to a tree stand, from everything I read, it seems like they were stating that the odds are stacked against you on the ground. Is that not the case? I was at BassPro last week and saw a nice little tent for approx. $100. More than happy to buy something like that.

Are these tents something I should have set out way ahead of time? or something that can go up on the day of the hunt?

Thanks again for speeding up my learning curve.

6. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1. I dont eat or drink and can sit in stand for around 6 hrs. Just me though.
    2. I use a small red led light and am in stand about 1.5 hrs before sunrise
    3. is this a 2 person ladder stand? Only thing you should be using with two ppl.
    4.just set it up quiet
    5. carbon. I use gold tips and easton.

7. MartinBowShooter

MartinBowShooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great job getting your kids started early! Here are a few of my opinions on your questions
    1. Snacks can be a great way to keep kids busy during a hunt, they worked for me :P. Two suggestions on snacks, hard candy or sunflower seeds were always my favorites. I don't think they really had too much of an effect on my hunting just remember to be quiet when getting the snacks from your bag.
    2. Like everyone else is saying try to be settled 30 prior to sunup
    3. I haven't hunted with two people in a tree stand before but like others suggested it might be a good idea to get a two person stand with a wide seat or just hunt from a blind.
    4. I started hunting with a climber last season and oh man does it take some getting used to... If you are going to have your kids hunting from climbers make sure they practice a ton before opening day, it's not fun using a climber in the dark when you don't really know what you're doing.
    5. I use some pretty standard gold tip arrows, nothing special about them. I like where you are going with the muzzy fixed blades, keep it simple less to go wrong. Another suggestion would be NAP Thunderheads, classic fool proof broad heads.
    Good luck this season and stay safe!

8. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Young kids move alot besides the safety factor and harder treestand shot. Set the tents out 3 weeks prior, wear black, only open perpendicular windows, practice sitting shots and make sure the fiber pins can be seen for the shot. My kids were 14 before they hunted alone and after building, doing maintenance on many stands.

9. Jeff Therrell Jr.

Jeff Therrell Jr. Newb

Dislikes Received:
    1.Usually if im not hunting all day i wont bring snacks, if i do its stuff like peanut butter crackers and fun size candy bars, pb&j sandwich.

2. 30 minutes before sunrise is legal shooting time, i like to try to be in my stand about a hour before then so i have plenty of time to get in my stand and settled in, you dont want to be walking in right before shooting light and spooking everything in the woods give it time to settle down.

3. Hunting with kids is great! i would personally use a two person stand so you can be right beside them the whole time untill he is use to using a tree stand, and be sure to wear safety harnesses. Ground blinds are also a great tool to use with kids, you can get away with alot more movement, and with two boys thats very important.

4. Make sure to practice shooting out of these stands at different yardages, make sure your accounting for the different angles.

5. Carbon arrows, with the fixed broadheads make sure you shoot them at some targets before you go and hunt, they will fly different then your practice field tips.thats one reason i like to use mechanical broadheads, because they fly closer to field tips.

Goodluck this year!

10. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The main thing is to keep it fun for the boys, and keep it simple, everything else is just gravy. Don't make it harder than it has to be.

11. nate

nate Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, keep it fun. Food scent shouldn't scare the deer, human scent and noise do. If you keep quiet and scent free then you might see deer, and that is what the kids want from you, their guide. Oh, and I agree about the PSE radial X-weave arrows!

12. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on my phone so I can't type long but sorry about your dog. You sound like a great dad, there's tons of awesome people on this websie who will help you out. Good luck this year to you and your family

13. hillrunner

hillrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You will not be scent free no matter what you do, just play the wind and enjoy the snacks.

14. JMyers125

JMyers125 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely agree on the wind factor. Good luck to you and the kids!!! Welcome aboard the site!

15. Jeff Therrell Jr.

Jeff Therrell Jr. Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ground blinds are great wear black or dark clothing to help blend in with the inside of the tent. Also make sure you cover the outside with limbs and grass to help blend it in with its surroundings most blinds will have places to tuck it in. Keep in mind you are eye level now with the deer. Wear a face mask or use face paint. You'll learn more just by going out. Just enjoy yourself and your kids you won't always see something that's why its called hunting :) good luck