*****Team 13 - Nock Stars*****

Discussion in '2013 Bowhunting.com Deer Contest' started by LittleChief, Aug 19, 2013.

1. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Little chief, if take the long trip. But I don't have that kind of money. I'm worried about the gas to hunt the free public land this year. On another note, I went to the pro shop today to get my buddies peep redone but I was curious about my draw weight. When I bought it 4 years ago the guys said it was at 65. It was at 71 today. Didn't know it was that high but hey if it feels easy why not?

2. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    That's interesting. Are your limbs cranked all the way down to the riser? I'd assume they would have to be assuming your bow is 60# to 70#. If they're not then I'd say they have an issue with their scale. Anyway, if it is on 71# and it's easy for you then yeah, go with it.

3. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LC, my arrows weigh 440 grains. I have Black Eagle Arrow Rampages, and I'm using the heavier outserts. I currently use 100 grain Slick Tricks. I don't know what my FOC is, I just know they kill deer dead :lol:

4. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    440 grains is pretty heavy by most peoples standards. I was just wondering how far above the norm I was. I started to post that question on the bowhunting forum but I know what would happen. Someone would start arguing about heavy versus light, kinetic energy versus momentum and pretty soon everyone would get all pissy and the thread would be locked.

My last arrow set-up that I shot out of my Drenalin was Gold Tip Pro Hunter 7595's (.300 spine). 10.2 grains per inch with a 125 grain head and two 50 grain brass weights screwed into the back of the insert. With wraps and blazers they hit 530 grains.

The new set-up I shoot out of my Heli-m are Gold Tip Velocity Pros (.300 spine). I went with a lighter shaft so that when I added the extra weight the FOC% would go up.

I like a heavier arrow with a the weight up front and a lot of momentum. I like to get down and look at my arrow sticking out of the ground after a pass-through. :D

5. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's your bow set up? Mines 70lbs at 30", and my Black Eagles are .300 spine. Every deer I have shot, I have had a pass through :tu: I thought about going heavier, but I didn't want to fix what's not broken :D

6. AUbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same here, I shoot 71 lbs, 28 in dl, with ics 400 spined arrows. Any deer not hit in the spine I've had a pass through. I see a lot of guys on BH.com that change something every year, but why if it works?

7. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is 70# @ 29" and I totally agree with you. There's really no need to fix it if it's not broken.

I just like to find the point where there's enough arrow weight to absorb enough of the bow's energy to make the shot ultra quiet. Mine shoots pretty quiet now but there's room for improvement.

I also like that additional weight up front which makes for a very forgiving set up coupled with the extra momentum in case of a less than stellar hit.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  8. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My arrows are 392 grains and 29 3/4 long, I'm getting right at 298 fps which I'm very happy with, my bow is extremely quiet like crazy quiet, to be honest the first time I shot my bow when I got it last summer I didn't know if I pulled the trigger or not because it was so quiet, I think in maybe 2 or 3 years ill sell my bow/ trade it for a monster, monsters are my favorite bows but my brother talked me into getting this, I got a sick deal in my bow, complete set up with all accessories for $725 !!!!!

9. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you got a great deal!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Good question. Keep in mind that I'm not thinking of trying something new here. I'm just considering increasing my arrow weight to the same as I used to shoot with my other bow.

11. AUbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't mean you, but some guys say. Had passthroughs on every deer. Shot accurate at any distance and now I'm changing arrows. I don't agree. I'm changing broadheads but its because my others weren't accurate past 30 yards or so.

12. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    No worries at all. I knew that wasn't directed at me.

So.... 15 days and a wake-up here! How about the rest of you? Getting excited?

13. AUbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I still have a month and a half. Oct 15 opener

14. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A month and a day away, still feels like a million years away

15. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    18 days...... I can already feel my trigger finger twitching :evilgrin:

16. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    October 1st here. I wish IL would come in earlier- I think it would really help me out one down early!

17. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    It sure doesn't look like much from the air does it?

I was looking at my spot I'll be hunting for my first sit on the 14th. The star is approximately where I'll be sitting provided I have a southerly wind. I'm actually a little closer to the west edge that that pic shows. If the wind is out of a northerly direction I'll have to go to one of two back-up spots. Anyway, the terrain is, of course, flat.

To give you a better idea of how small this woodlot is, the west edge of that bottom section is only about 500 feet long.

If I had zoomed way out the entire area would look like this. Corn, beans and small woodlots.

I'm dying to see what happens when they cut that corn. :D

First Sit Location.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  18. WISCONSINBUCKHUNTER

WISCONSINBUCKHUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like an awesome spot!:nana:

19. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great, Johnny! I would be tempted to hang a stand just north of there where that bottleneck is ;)

20. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Where is the bedding area?