All inclusive resorts value

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by chopayne, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The most expensive item will be the flight, which for me, was about $1500 for us both. Found a badass private house on a private beach for $1k/week. Rented a jeep. Cooked most of the meals in the house. I brought my fishing rod. The house was close enough to a town that we were still able to have a couple of "nice" dinners out too.

This was on the Pacific side, which is less touristy, so it's not as expensive, FWIW.

2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Our family did an all inclusive on DR two years ago and liked it well enough that we are going again this year. We did several excursions off the main resort and felt completely safe. I would recommend the all inclusive for sure. For $50 per night in DR you may find yourself in a real dump. NEVER believe the pictures you see online. Like anywhere (including many US cities) its always better to travel with a group. Many packages will include some spa and golf and/or excursions. Don't be afraid to barter a little bit when booking.

3. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Flight is ~$600 for each person where we're flying out of, we were going to the phillippines or korea but that ticket was $2k for each of us, not including myself flying out of Hawaii to meet her in the first place. We picked this region because the ticket prices were far lower, if there is one thing I hate, it is paying for cabs and airfare, such a waste for such uncomfortable rides.

When we visit, we don't cook, I go to other countries to try other foods, I am a big foodie and drinkie. When I go to bars, I order mixed drinks to see how they taste, after all I can buy a damn beer or straight alcohol and drink it by myself at my house. That's just the way I see things though, wasn't attacking anyone if that is what this comes off as.

Hmm how was driving in DR? I worry about that. I also won't be fishing since I dont know the first thing about it.

I do worry about $50, but there have been enough reviews on other websites to make me think that they are pretty credible. Also, the town is ranked on trip advisors places to go, so im not too worried. But who knows, maybe ill get screwed.

When you're in the all inclusive resort, ive heard that you have to rely on buffets if you don't place reservations for restaurants fast enough, is this true? Also how much should I be spending per person per night for all inclusive resorts? It's just spending $400/night seems so outlandish, I dont think I'd get my money's worth.

4. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I agree, if I cook, it is stuff that I find at the local markets that I can't get here.

5. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We did Sandals for our honeymoon as well as another all-inclusive in Cabo.

If you drink alcohol, then all-inclusives are worth it. If you don't drink, then its really hard to make up that extra $.

You can definitely do it on the cheap by staying at a $50/night place and spending the day "exploring" where your next meal is coming from. But I doubt security and housekeeping are of the same level, and they definitely use more chemicals in the pool at Sandals.

6. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    I keep hearing alcohol alcohol alcohol. I can't imagine alcohol being that expensive? It is a third world country, I would think mixed drinks at ok locations are $5? and beers are $2-$3? Or if it is just my wife and I, I could just buy a fifth and a case of beer couldn't I?

Or can someone quote me prices of alcohol?

7. Zdeerslayer

Zdeerslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was in Aruba about a month ago, a 6pack of the local beer was $24.

8. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm, would explain locals when I was in Honduras, buying alcohol on base because it was cheaper. I did go out in town though and believe I only paid $2-$3 at the local restaurants for beer. May just depend on location within the country?

Thanks for the example

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure about the D.R., but I've been to Jamaica and the Virgin Islands. Jamaica was all inclusive and the VI was not. Food was very expensive in the VI. I wouldn't consider Jamaica to be a very safe place to be off the resort, considering they were killing tourists when we were there. The VI were a little better, but still pretty shady.

10. Zdeerslayer

Dislikes Received:
    The problem with going to a 'touristy' place is that you pay rediculous prices on everything. A bottle of 6oz sunscreen can be $25-$35. I'm sure if you went somewhere else like Panama in a less touristy spot, a 6 pack is probably like $1.00. The thing is, there's a give and take with a lot of these places. You pay more money to be in the tourist area, but you are generally much safer and can walk around outside the resort (depending on the island). When you go off the ebaten track and look to be away from those amenities, you're taking you saftey in your own hands. I've personally never been to the DR, but I've heard most ppl stick to the resorts.

11. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, it is pretty ridiculous the prices you pay which is the downside of going to third world countries where bargaining is a way of life. Hmm going to do some research into crimes and safety on DR and Colombia.

12. Zdeerslayer

Dislikes Received:
    If you are looking to go someplace relatively safe in South America, look more towards Peru and Argentina.

13. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just went to DR in May. I would HIGHLY suggest an all inclusive resort. We ventured off the resort for a couple excursions, and that was enough venturing for me. It is not the most pleasant of place off the resort.

We stayed at Dreams Punta Cana, it was ehhhh OK. I personally would not return, but I did have a good time.

I got Xanex or some nerve pill for the plane ride, but to be honest I needed the pills more for the van rides through the Dominican...holy s%*t that literally scared me every time out!

I would suggest if you do go anywhere for a week on a resort plan to take a little extra cash for excursions(Most excursions run about $125-$150 a person). It breaks the week up, when you get tired of sitting around the resort.

Also take a bunch of dollar bills with you, I took $100 in $1 bills for me and the wife. That lasted the whole week and I tipped everyone that got me something for the most part, I would tip a bartender a few bucks right off the back and it was quick service after that.

A big thing to also think about, is take a bunch of Immodium Meds with you. The food in these foreign places is completely different and cooked completely different then what we are used too. I lived on Immodium most of the week, and to be honest it took a week or better to get things back to normal once I got home.

Gd Luck with what you decide, but IMO I would highly suggest an All Inclusive Resort. If you have a local Travel Agent stop in and talk with them, they should help you out greatly!

14. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    = ) Immodium. That stuff doesn't help when it's just liquid.

Crazy driving? Yea used to that, I remember I was in another caribbean nation and these bus drivers would cross bridges fast and somehow make it with their tires 6" from the edge.

Thanks for your input, for those of you who say go all inclusive, which, has been everyone, do you get the DR or local experience? I feel like saving the flight money and just going to a nice hotel here in the states. I mean if you're not going to live on the economy and do 1 or 2 excursions, if you don't care for the beaches (We've lived in hawaii past 4 years) is DR really worth it for all inclusive?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  15. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't speak for the DR, but the Jamaica experience went something like this. People living in shacks on the side of the mountain, dirty, trashy, crazy taxi/bus drivers. Not to mention vendors constantly badgering you to buy their crap. Everyone and their mother begging for tips. So after having the Jamaica experience, I'd gladly not have it again. At least while we were on the resort, it was civilized and I felt safe.

16. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Yup the vendors bugging you is quite annoying, after having been to many countries It's become easier to ignore.

I asked the manager of the hotel, one which got really good reviews on trip advisor on the price of alcohol. She told me at bars
    ~$2 for beer
    ~$4 bottle of rum (im guessing this would be some crazy nasty rum)
    ~$8 for bottle of wine

Not too shabby, id have to drink a crap ton to make up the difference in price, then get alot of massages.

Still looking for input on if having the beach isn't a high priority, if it is worth it to go to all inclusive in a caribbean island. It would seem that if you're "stuck" on a resort, that you're not enjoying the island as much as a piece of the island surrounded by americans and not locals.

Looks like my mind is pretty much set, but hey any additional feedback or comments are always appreciated.

17. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For me, the all inclusive is the way to go. I have no desire to venture off the resort unless its with a planned excursion. Check out trip advisor, there's so many options out there it will make your head spin. We're planning a trip next summer with some friends on the cheap. We're going to try out the Iberostar chain. This place has a lot better reviews than other more expensive places we've stayed. My only hope it that the food is edible and the drinks are strong.

Iberostar Tucan Hotel (Riviera Maya/Playa del Carmen, Mexico) - Resort (All-Inclusive) Reviews - TripAdvisor

18. Joey Rott

Joey Rott Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the answer of whether All Inclusive is worth it, depends on your objective for the trip. You do you want to stay on the resort the whole time, or get out and do stuff most days? Is your goal to be drinking all day, or just a few drinks in the evenings?

With an All-Inclusive you pretty much know what you're getting. And that's an advantage in itself, not having to worry about tips, a big drink tab, what you eat, etc. But if you want to get out and about and see what else the area has to offer (outside the resort) you'll likely be better off not going the All-Inclusive route.

Not too long ago my wife and I went to Puerto Vallarta/Punta Mita for a week. Stayed in a couple different nice, but smaller hotels for $40-50/night. Went out to eat at a lot of nice restaurants for usually $8-20/person, beers were usually $2-3. A couple days we went surfing(free), another day fishing on a boat for 4 hrs($120), another day went to an awesome spa/massage/pool place ($80), shopping another day, Zip lining another, etc. My wife doesn't drink much so food and drink per day was always under $100 for 2. Add in reasonable airfare at under $500/person and it made for a reasonable under 2K week trip. And that's without holding back on anything except for not going to an All Inclusive Resort. Probably my most enjoyable aspect of the trip was going to the different restaurants everyday and getting authentic local food, along with seeing a bit of the local culture. Do enough research online before the trip and you'll find the places to go and see, safely.

Both ways have their advantages.. but personally, if I wanted to drink all day, every day, I could just do that here in the states. I like drinking as much as the next person, but picking my times throughout the day do it when on vacation, is fine with me.

19. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not to be the dumb one, but why on earth would you go to a Caribbean Island if you are NOT interested in the ocean/beaches? That's literally the only thing those islands have to offer unless you have just seen everywhere else in the world.

New Zealand, Australia, South Asia, Europe, Turkey, Argentina, Peru, Chile, and 10 other places would rank ahead of the Caribbean for a non beach trip.

20. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    I like to travel, I would much rather go to the phillippines, thailand, korea, all those places but the airfare around wintertime skyrockets. Ticket prices out of the country are cheapest to the caribbean and parts of central america, which is why ive refined our vacation to there, if we're still married when I get back. I also love food and like to try different country's foods.

I plan on going to all those places you mentioned, I just don't like paying more than I have to, which is why ill be traveling to those locations in the off seasons.

Joey had it straight on and I think I wont be going with all inclusive because my objective isn't to sit on the beach and drink, im more of a guy who likes to experience different foods and explore the culture. Really different foods is my biggest motivator.