First Season Hunting Any Advice??

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by CarolinaMan, Aug 17, 2013.

1. CarolinaMan

CarolinaMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First season hunting, moved to heavily wooded place and the only thing to do out here is hunt, so i got my license and been watching hunting channels, bought a bow, camo clothes, climber stand, i put out 2 bags of acorn rage and poured a gallon of buckjam on a down log in front of a trail cam which i set up today and spooked 2 big does in the process so i know there's deer out here :nana: , any advice or tips or equipment you think i need for the first hunt?? :woot:

2. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Practice shooting as much as possible, and than scout as much as possible. Than do it again.

3. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot as much as you can. When you have a deer in range you will go on auto-pilot.

4. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    PRACTICE SHOOTING
    dont move while in your stand
    hunt the wind
    try to be scent free
    study deer movement while out hunting and adjust to there movement

5. Scljrl

Scljrl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Practice, Practice, Practice. Shooting, moving, setting up stands. Eat Sleep Hunt. Then do it again.

Good luck man. But the most important thing is to enjoy yourself. It's not always about the killing. Just enjoy the experience, every time.

6. CarolinaMan

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the advice will keep them in mind!

7. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't be too scared to try new things. The best teacher is experience. The more time you spend in the woods the more you will learn and the more fun you will have. Just NEVER get discouraged! Good luck this season amigo!

8. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Find a buddy that hunts.

9. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've gone out with my father in law last weekend. I've gone in with the expectation of learning something every trip out. Don't get me wrong, I want to fill my tag, but it will be a successful season if I walk away with more knowledge and experience than I had at the beginning of the season.

10. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty solid advice right there. I'd like to add that after you "PRACTICE SHOOTING" go ahead and practice again and again and again and again

11. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Be patient, dont expect to see deer every time out. That can drive down the enjoyment.
    Don't be afraid to make mistakes, its gonna happen it does to everyone. Just learn from them.

Most of it is to have fun and always try to get better. Everybody else kinda hit the rest. Good luck with your first year.

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice!!

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I found out yesterday from my friend in Rock Hill, SC that it is now LEGAL to bait deer in SC. Get (2) 50 lb bags of corn and spread them out over a 10 yard area near where you want to hang a stand. It will take them a day or two to find it, but when they do, they will be there like clock work!

14. kjw33

kjw33 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When practicing, know where to aim.
    I only take broadside if I have to. Wait for the deer to quarter away, then aim for the opposite shoulder. Everything you want to hit is between you and the opposite shoulder of a quartering-away deer.
    Bleat to stop the deer if you have to. Bleat after you shoot it...deer are instinctively curious. Bleating at them after you shoot them can actually stop them mid-flight. Could make the difference between tracking a deer and watching it die from your treestand.
    Know your range limits and don't shoot beyond them. Wounding an animal because you shot beyond your limits is lame.

15. ZGhunter

ZGhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm an SC hunter and I hunt private land and I will be taking advantage of that hopefully it will be a great season and Carolinaman if you are in SC take full advantage of that new law!

16. CarolinaMan

Dislikes Received:
    I heard its legal to do that this year to from some buddies from work who are pretty avid hunters

17. Imthedude

Imthedude Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, if its legal, corn is your best friend!!! Be warned though, corn attracts just about everything else in the woods too. Lol. Have some target practice on the coons!!!

18. KYhunter

KYhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stay positive throughout the whole year! Do not get discouraged if you hunt all year and never get the oppourtunity to kill a deer it is not the end of the world. I hunt every chance I get and there are still some years that I leave without killing a deer. Stay calm and patient. Patients plays a very big role when you're hunting.

19. Chef Nerd

Chef Nerd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I were you I would absorb as much as possible that first season hunting. Wheither it be from a ground blind, hunkered in some thicket or up in a tree. Just watch and observe. Your going to get busted by deer, forget things in the car, and maybe miss a shot or two.

Usually after a hunt (on my walk back to the house/ truck) I will think about what I saw that day. Where the deer came from, why they stopped at certain spots to ensure it was safe to continue on their route, or why I didn't even see one at all.

I consider myself young (26) and still learning every time I step into the woods or converse with other hunters about the lifestyle.

Best takeaways before a hunt assuming you are confident with your bow and know where your stand/ spot is to hunt from:

-Layout your gear the night before
    -Have your release (if you use one) strapped on your wrist BEFORE you walk to your stand. You may be lucky and fill your tag before getting to your spot.
    -Dress in layers
    -ALWAYS strap in (wear your harness)
    -If going out alone its good to have a phone incase of emergencies on you.

Have fun and best of luck this season!

20. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Practice, find acorns, and hunt the wind.