Self Filming

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Tinman46, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Tinman46

Tinman46 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on self filming this year for the first time. what are some good tips or tricks to making sure I get good angles and footage (especially when I want to take a shot)?

2. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Practice, having your camera arm positioned in the right spot so you can move it how you need without being in your way too much, and more practice. Can be great when everything comes together but you will have some mishaps along the way. I still do. Good Luck.

3. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is challenging to say the least! The BHOD guys make it look good that is for sure. I would invest in a nice arm & fluidhead for smooth tracking/movement. I am only 1 year into it tho, so I am also still learning.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Me too. I learn something new every time I go out!

5. Hoyt_Archer

Hoyt_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 1 cam mounted to my bow for the shot and 1 in the tree on me. I found filming alone this is the easiest way for me to do it. Since my bow is always in my hand it's easy to turn the cam on follow the deer in and then take the shot. Just have to remember to hold the bow/cam on the deer after the shot. I practice this during the off season when shooting at my 3d targets. I use a sony cam on my bow so i am able to watch the view finder after the shot to follow the deer..Takes quite a bit of practice but also helps in form as you continue to hold the bow up after the shot focused on your target instead of dropping the bow. Takes some practice with how much of a zoom you use also at different yardages. The more zoom you use the harder it is to follow after the shot. Practice practice practice...Good way to speed summer along..Here's a pic of the cam on my bow. Camera.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  6. michiganbowhunter1995

michiganbowhunter1995 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i like that idea! what kind of mount do you have set up for that camera?

7. Mkwa Hunter

Mkwa Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great idea, I too am interested in your mount...

8. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Or if you don't have 2 cameras then "stage" your video.

Before you get settled in to your hunt put the camera on you, lock your release and get ready to make your shot - draw the bow and CUT! If you want to do it all then "stage" it out in the pre-season, put your camo on and face paint set a target out and release an arrow.

All you have to do is edit your "staged" footage or B-roll into you video after you've harvested your deer.

I think you need to B-roll as many things as possible, for instance zooming the camera in to your hand/release as you click that release to your loop. It's footage like this that can be edited in.

So you want to show yourself a lot?? Why not again "stage" yourself pointing to a general area where you think a deer is coming from and then OMG you get to just worry about filming the animal and don't have to worry about yourself because that part is already done.

Just some suggestions from someone who has no idea what they are doing in wildlife videography.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  9. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    but how is the quality, doesn't the whole screen vibrate when you shoot the deer? I have seen things like this and it seems you miss then entire arrow...which is pointless IMHO if you are using a video cam.... But we each have our own parts of the hunt we want taped. The arrow is a part I want clear so I can judge my shot after the fact...if possible.