Use a Kayak?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by No.6Hunter, Aug 23, 2013.

1. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    State land in Michigan seems more deadly than the streets to Compton when it comes to gun season so I thought about getting out in the woods early with the bow to try and tag a big state lander. Now I know the best places to hunt on state land are usually the hardest ones to get to, so why not use a kayak on a river to reach an oasis? Anyone ever packed up the canoe or kayak and went hunting?

2. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a great plan to me. I would definitely do it if the land I hunt called for it. I personally have never done that but know Fitz does this quite often in early season where he hunts. That is until his lakes and waterways freeze over. I'm sure he'll see this thread and chime in with some good pointers and tips for you.

3. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If your transporting gear or a deer canoe is the way to go. Kayaks don't have the cargo capacity a canoe does.

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Canoes are where it's at! Like parker said, if you kill something and have a kayak, you're SOL. If you are looking to buy one, try and get as wide of one as you can find. This will give you more weight capacity and better stability when you add 150-250# of dead weight to the front :tu:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fitz do you stalk hunt more or do you use a stand?

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mostly stand hunt, but I'll do the occasional still hunt (mostly to in-season scout and area).

7. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome fitz. It's a lifelong dream of mine to paddle a deer back out like that. I think it stems from a picture in outdoor life or field and stream.

For the record I agree, canoe is the only way to go. Iv got an old town 157 ( I believe the same that fitz has?) and iv hunted out of it before. Plenty of room and weight capacity

8. Drop_Tine5214

Drop_Tine5214 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do the same thing, a river or creek is one of the best and most silent extra/exit routes you can find. It's also nice to float a deer back to the truck instead of dragging. I try to find river-bottom pinch points and park my canoe within 100 yards of the stand. I have a flat-back canoe with a small trolling motor. A lot less work than parking a mile away and walking too.

9. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on using a 10 ft flat bottom this year to hunt some public land. Is is a peninsula where the only land access is on the military base but the last 500 yards is public. I figure I can get into the end of it an if anybody walks in they will push deer right at me . Good luck.