Bradley Manning's Lawyer on TV

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Iowa Veteran, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Manning's lawyer today said if Fort Leavenworth officials don't give Manning hormone treatments while he is imprisoned, he'll sue the government to get them. Then said they may sue for a sex change operation for him. Finally, said he was hoping the POTUS would pardon Manning. This POS gave out over 700,000 classified documents to a foreign national and now wants not only gender altering treatments at tax payers expense but also a pardon?

2. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Iowa, if that is a military lawyer, then he is just doing his job. Alot of lawyers who defend criminals in the military get blacklisted and their career ends because they end up getting associated with the bad guy. He is doing his professional duty and carrying it out. Though we all agree manning sucks and I hope he is put in solitary confinement, truth be told, if he were framed and somehow innocent, we would need people like his lawyer sticking up for his rights.

As for this sex change and hormone things, yea, unfortunately prisoners have more rights than citizens. The government has to make sure they don't make any wrong statements about manning now and ensure that he receives good treatment.

3. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think the both of them should share the same cell for a long time.:hater:

4. Drop_Tine5214

Drop_Tine5214 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If Tuition Assistance gets cut for servicemembers in college in FY14, and this kid gets a free sex change, I'm going to lose my freaking mind.

5. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unbelievable... let me come give him a sex change :evilgrin:

6. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Framed??? Didn't he admit to it? Then recently blame it on his mental state due to wanting to be a girl????

7. patientz3ro

patientz3ro Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Somebody needs to explain to this lawyer that a sex change operation won't be necessary. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he becomes somebody's b!7ch.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

8. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you missed the point.

He deserves council, regardless of what he did. I believe was the point but I don't think that pertained to the intent of the op.:what:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

9. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    I get his point but its a pointless point in this case IMO
    Clearly everyone, guilty or not deserves a defense. But once found guilty and sentenced lets stop wasting our money on the other BS

10. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I gotta agree with tacklebox on this and I see what point he's making. Its fine amd everyone's right to have legal representation. But if you commited a crime and are found guilty you don't keep making up new excuses as to why you did the crime until you get a sentence your happy with. Guy girl or whatever this guy wants to be called it still had nothing to do with why he did what he did.

Jus saw on the news thery want to take the Army to court to denying this guy hormone treatments and a sex change because its cruel and unusual punishment. All I saw is good luck with that, as far as I know the military doesn't provide thatfor anyone so why do it for someone in a military prison. I can see them goin along with it though and that's one of the reasons I'm glad I got out of military when I did. They seem to be getting a little soft.

11. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Alot of people have been set free(because they were indeed innocent) after being proven guilty and confessing to it and serving time in Jail. Cops and law enforcement can at times twist evidence and do things to get the wrong people convicted. Im not saying I think manning is innocent, I think he is dead guilty. Im talking about the lawyer here, and we are taking alot of our anger out on the lawyer. He is doing what is professionally required of him and what any good lawyer would do with any other guilty person.

As for pay cuts happening and manning getting his sex change, that will happen, guaranteed. It's not necessarily the military backing this up as much as it is the courts and civilians. This lawyer, you guys have to realize is chosen from within the government, it's not like he's doing this pro bono to get fame and then get into a big law firm. He's putting his life on the line and ruining his career military and civilian side for the rights of manning. He doesn't come out ahead either way.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  12. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    On another example, should we be hating on the doctors who saved tsarynev or whoever, the hussein or whoever guy from fort hood? They did after all save those murderers lives, im sure most of them wanted them to die, but they had a professional duty to save these people's lives no matter who they were.

13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The "guy" came into the service as a male, was convicted as a male, and entered prison as a male. There is no medical reason why the "guy" needs to be turned into a girl. Hence, f him.

14. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He needs to shut the ***k up and do his time. He is nothing special and deserves nothing special. The Army already has a policy not to provide these treatments and surgeries. He's in prison period. I have no problem with his lawyer filing an appeal if there is grounds for one (which I don't think there is) but no special treatment. He can be a woman when or if he gets out.

15. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Continuing to fight for innocence and fighting for BS like sexual reassignment and hormone therapy on my dime are two VERY different things sir!

16. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    You are comparing apples to oranges, no one is saying that the lawyer shouldn't do his job. We are saying there is a line where that job ends. Fighting for Manning to get his @#$% whacked off is passed that line.

17. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Can any lawyer answer, "If your client wants to fight for something, but the lawyer doesn't agree, is he obligated to fight for what the client wants?" ie Manning and his sex change.

18. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Lawyers get paid to do a job period. Private sector lawyers reserve the right to drop your case at any time and for any reason, it happens every day. This lawyer has done his job IMO, and as taxpayers we paid the bill. Time for him to move on and stop wasting our resources on BS

19. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    But, does he have the right, as a military lawyer to do that? Even if he does, because this is the military, some other schmuck would have to represent manning.

20. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    We've got to realize here, that if he does not have an option to quit, or knows that some other military person will HAVE to represent manning, that he has a professional duty to act in his clients best interest no matter who it is or no matter how much he disagrees with it.

Id sure love to have that kind of lawyer if I ever got framed, one who held his professionalism above his feelings and what everyone else thought.

Please don't think that im for Manning and this sex change, I am all about locking this guy up and throwing away the key.