Covert Special Ops

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by DoubleLung, Aug 20, 2013.

1. DoubleLung

DoubleLung Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just purchased a 'Covert Special Ops' Trailcam; does anyone out there have any experience with this camera?
    I'm really interested in hearing what the capabilities are in low signal areas... can I expect to get messages sent to me if I'm deep in the woods with limited signal?

Thanks for your comments in advance!

2. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am pretty familiar with that camera.

Did you get a booster antenna ?

You will need a minimum 2 bars to get the majority of pics.

3. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't get the booster antenna.. did you find that it helps? cause I've heard mixed reviews on the booster..

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I heard its a great cam but dont have any experience with it. good luck with it

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd like to see some pics from that unit.

Blessings........Pastorjim

6. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The booster antenna will gain you 1-2 additional bars

7. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be getting the camera out next week in North Dakota, I'll post pictures of the result.
    gutone4me... Thanks. I'll consider the booster if I find myself struggling to find service.

8. 220

220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been running two Code Blacks for about a week now ... both with the booster antenna, and have been getting steady pics texted to my phone from both cams so far.

One bit of advice I've heard both second-hand, as well as learned early on running the Coverts, they apparently have a wider sensor coverage compared to the actual lens. So, I've been seeing a fair amount of images where I'm getting just the head or tail end of deer on the very edge of the images ... some even blank. I've read where others using the Coverts have taken electrical/duct tape and covered about a 1/4 inch of each side of the sensor to narrow it's range ... help get more of the deer within the actual photos. I haven't had a chance to get back to the lease to make the adjustment ... but I can tell you the Code Blacks have been working well for me so far. One things for sure, it's a convenient way to "check cams" without having to actually go to the camera very often. It also allows you to control certain functions from your phone, which is handy.

Most importantly, if you find or know of a good bucks core area, this cam would allow you to greatly decrease your scent and impact in such an area while still being able to consistently monitor it ... which is a major advantage in my opinion.

9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am running three. Overall I have been satisfied with the cams. The picture quality over air (cell) is mediocre at best but I guess it serves its purpose. I wish the size and quality (compression) could be user defined. The images size in KB is well under any carrier limitations. Other then that and getting the cameras initially setup I don't have any complaints. I would recommend you verify you are receiving this years model instead of the previous years as it has some added functionality as far as changing settings remotely via SMS.