Camo help

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Applehinge, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Applehinge

Applehinge Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live in northwestern PA, cold winters and fall, i want camo that is good for both fall and winter, but not too hot for the fall. And do i need scent free? i have been useing scent killer feild spray and it seems to work good enough. thanks

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the scent blocer protec. Not to think but when it does get cold I use a mid weight baselayer and im good. Great suit imo

3. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    thick*

4. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just got some scent blocker. It seems awesome. Can't wait to try it out.

5. Bowhunter Brown

Bowhunter Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use realtree hardwoods cause its darker than the ap or extra so u can hide in the shadows but its hard to find it anymore but as long as you clean your clothes with scent-a-way or dead down wind then you should be fine

6. Drop_Tine5214

Drop_Tine5214 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your best bet in my opinion is not a single outfit, but to find a sort of layering system. There are several good articles on this if you google search it. This does not have to be too expensive either. You should try to always remain as scent free as possible. Wash your clothes in scent free soap and store them in air tight tubs when you are not hunting. You don't need to spend a lot of money to be successful, I'm sure the Carbon suits help to a certain extent, but if you play the wind, remain as scent free as possible, and plan your entry/exit routes to avoid spooking deer, you will be successful no matter how expensive your camo.

I believe the best investment a hunter can make is a good pair of knee high rubber insulated boots. I have Lacrosse Alphaburlys and love them. You can tuck your pantlegs into them when walking to the stand so you do not deposit scent on underbrush. When you get into the stand, untuck your pants to contain any foot odor that may escape through the top of the boots. This has worked very well for me.