Shooting inconsistently

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fishn197, Aug 20, 2013.

1. fishn197

fishn197 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm putting my arrows in groups but they are all over. What may be causing this?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Give us a little better explanation as to what exactly's happening. Groups are good but not where you are shooting? Always in the same spot, for example they are always low and to the left or groups don't consistently hit in the same areas? Are you shooting a different distances or talking about all from the same distance?

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A few more questions/thoughts: Is your anchor point consistent? Are you framing your sight housing in your peep? Are you torquing the bow/holding it consistently? Finger or release shooting? Are your arrows of uniform weight and setup?

-Bill

4. Goosepond Monster

Goosepond Monster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was having an issue of shooting low and wasn't sure why. Took my bow by the shop and found out my string had stretched. The guy at the shop fixed it up and everything was good to go.

5. Bowhunter Brown

Bowhunter Brown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had that problem so i bought a pine ridge small kisser button and now im cutting my fletching off hahaha jk but im pretty close

6. Drop_Tine5214

Drop_Tine5214 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think a kisser button was one of the best investments I ever made. The guy at the archery shop tried to talk me out of it because he thought it would slow my arrow speed down by 5 fps or so, but I don't care. I will take accuracy over speed any day. Having that second anchor point helped my precision a ton and is much easier to use as an anchor when I have heavy hunting clothes on.

Glad you got all fixed up. For future people reading this post, it seems to me that the two most common reason for inconsistant shooting (besides a problem with the bow) is having an inconsistent anchor point and gripping the bow too tightly. This is especially true at longer ranges. If those two things are spot-on, I would go into a pro shop and get help tuning the bow.

7. WW1

WW1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Put on a SquareUp. Don't shoot groups after you do though....mess up a ton of arrows.

8. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Probably your form.

9. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Too many variables without specifics. Best bet is go into a proshop and see if they can watch you shoot. That will help out alot. Also, have someone take pictures of you at full draw with arrow nocked from all sides, front back sides that'll tell you alot with stance, grip etc. Just don't shoot the guy taking the picture.