drop away vs biscuit

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Tinman46, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Tinman46

Tinman46 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious as to how many guys are still using whisker biscuits while hunting versus a drop away.

Last season i was still using a biscuit and made the switch to an NAP apache drop away not to long after. I loved the rest while shooting all off season and i think it will be great during season.

Anyone every switch from a drop away to a biscuit?

2. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use the QAD drop away and have been very pleased with it. I have a WB on my backup bow and it will do the job if need be. I think I'll always stick with the drop away for my primary bow.

3. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Trophy Ridge drop away. My neighbor uses a biscuit and it tears up his fletchings. Never had a problem with my drop away.

4. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went from a biscuit to a qad ultrarest hunter.

5. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the original WB on an older bow for a few years and just switched to a QAD drop-away this year on my new bow. Here's my thoughts on both.

Whisker Biscuit

Pros:
    1) 100% full containment
    2) 100% reliable, it will work no matter what

Cons:
    1) It does reduce arrow velocity but shouldn't be more than 5-10 fps.
    2) It tears up older plastic style vanes - the 4 inch kind. I speak from personal experience. Either they get torn up on the tips or the vanes get deformed and discolored after 100's of shots. Also, poorly fletched blazers can (and in my experience have) come off but generally 2" Blazers are ok through a WB.

QAD Drop Away

Pros:
    1) 100% containment. Although the arrow can move a small amount on the rest, it always comes back to center like it should.
    2) No speed loss when compared to a whisker biscuit.

Cons:
    1) As with any mechanical product there's always the possibility of a failure even if that chance is very low.
    2) Setup of the rest and cable while not difficult, needs to be done correctly for the rest to operate correctly and stay timed correctly even with regular use.

I went with the QAD on my new bow because I wanted to try something new, gain a little bit of speed and maybe some accuracy. (Although some people say a WB is just as accurate as a drop away, I personally feel like less contact with fletching = more accuracy)

6. Tinman46

Tinman46 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice input. I really dont think i will ever switch back to the WB. They are just as accurate however i feel they are less forgiving. If u push your shot, or have any kind of movement upon release, that WB is going to pull (or puch) the tail end of your arrow slightly. Obviously, this affects your shot accuracy. I will still hang onto my WB just in case because they do what they are suppose to do every single time without fail.

I have a feeling that no one has every switched from drop away to WB lol

7. kansasfever

kansasfever Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My smack down pro has been really good to me.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

8. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went from a WB to a spring loaded prong type rest. I like it, seems faster. Haven't tried drop away yet.

9. patientz3ro

patientz3ro Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have yet to make the full switch, but I'm not really a WB fan... I use an Octane Hostage. It's full containment, but there's only 3 brushes instead of being surrounded.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

10. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went to a QAD and never looked back. My groups are much better. Not hating on the WB though, they do just fine.

11. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think WBs are hard on vanes. I would only recommend it to someone on a budget. Love the Ripcord code red!

12. Dampland

Dampland Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a WB, and while I understand why people like drop aways, I spend a lot of time walking thru thick brush, and with my WB, I know my arrow will always be ready to shoot. Also, I have found that I am plenty accurate with the WB, and my FPS speed has been plenty over the last decade to kill plenty of deer. I also have NEVER had a problem with vane damage. I know I'm in the minority, but I will stick with my WB.

13. JamesxCreedx

JamesxCreedx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    whisker biscuits :dan:

14. jlbmarine

jlbmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Switched from WB to QAD dropaway hex... never looked back. Great rest, tighter groups. Arrows do bounce around a tiny bit while walking, i just keep a finger on the arrow and problem solved..... great rest though!

15. Drop_Tine5214

Drop_Tine5214 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a Ripcord arrow rest on my bow about 5 years ago and the launcher arm failed to drop when I needed it most. I know the chances are extremely low, but it can happen, and I missed a nice buck because of it. This was the type of rest that the arm could be locked into the upright position or left down. I sent the rest in to Ripcord and they replaced it no questions asked, but that didn't give me the buck I wanted. That being said, I still shoot a drop away rest, but I switched to an NAP Apache, and it has performed flawlessly for 2 years. What are the odds that it could happen to me twice, right? :confused:

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Drop away helped me shoot tighter groups.

17. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whisker biscuit

18. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just changed back to a drop away after vowing years ago to never use one after a bad experience with one just being a PITA. I went to WBs and never had any problems. Now I'm back to having some minor issues, if I can't work them out the drop away is going in the trash and a new WB is going on even though the drop away looks cooler. They may be :dan: but they are reliable.

19. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love the WB. I am a big fan of NO moving parts and have never had a single issue with any type of vanes through them. I was on an elk hunt with a guy that had issues with his drop-away and vowed then that I would never risk a hunt on something that had the potential to get screwed up in the field that easily.

20. jlbmarine

jlbmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I liked my WB, but it has it's flaws, like everything else. I like dropaways now, but wb's have their place.