Arrow and broadhead accuracy

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DVFD236, Aug 19, 2013.

1. DVFD236

DVFD236 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you buy multiple arrows and shoot each one to pick out a select few to go in your quiver for the upcoming season? How many of you do this with the actual broadhead you tend to hunt with? We all know the same pack of arrows and broadheads can have a few among them that act just a little different. Those that use fixed blades, do you worry about dulling the blades? Several brands come with a target version but that is not what will be shot at the animal and could fly slightly different than the real deal. Any thoughts and suggestions to this madness?

2. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually have broad heads that I practise with, then the ones I hunt with. I don't practice with my hunting heads except maybe one shot to make sure its hitting the same. Like to keep em sharp. I have also shot the practise blades and they fly the same as the normal hunting blades in my experience.

3. Drop_Tine5214

Drop_Tine5214 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I find a broadhead I like, I always buy a second pack to practice with right before the season starts. I try not to shoot them too much though because they can tear up an expensive target in a hurry.

4. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do this. Have not done it this year yet though.

5. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto. Can't go wrong doing this (IMHO).

6. DVFD236

DVFD236 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great info thanks.

7. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Slick Tricks and resharpen them on a Spyderco Triangle Sharpener. I use arrows from last season strictly for practice but I shoot all my new arrows a few times to make sure they fly right and hit the same. For the most part they all fly very well but sometimes there's one or two that are difficult. It's a little cheaper this was so I only have to buy 6 at a time. Also, when shooting to check field point/broadhead groups, it helps to shoot the broadhead first. I have sliced many-a-vane by shooting my field points followed by a broadhead. Everything you read says "shoot a group of field points, then shoot your broadheads to make sure it groups the same." Well, guess what...when they group the same you're gonna be refletching your arrows.

8. DVFD236

DVFD236 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I agree 100%. This is exactly what I have been doing. Seems to work well.