Confused about why my bow wont shoot accurately

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Lt.smoke, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Lt.smoke

Lt.smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I recently lowered the draw weight of my bow because I couldnt shoot it comfortably since doing that I cant get it sighted in.....

Did I fuzz it up somehow?

2. SLINGnMISS

SLINGnMISS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it should alter your accuracy on the vertical plane. The arrow is no longer traveling at the same speed. It shouldn't affect it in the horizontal plane.

3. Lt.smoke

Lt.smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can get the 20yd pin sighted but I cant get 30 or 40... All i did was chased arrows

4. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did you reduce it enough to effect your spine to dw ratio?

5. Lt.smoke

Lt.smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am brand new to archery I have no clue what that means

6. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    May jus be bad day of shooting. I have that happen sometimes and jus come back to it and don't have problem. Unless you dropped your weight dramatically wouldn't think the spine is a issue. You could do a quick check and see, if you go to most arrow manufacturers websites they have a chart to check what you need for your draw weight and length.

7. Jdicenhour

Jdicenhour Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is your draw weight an, draw length? which arrows are you using an what are they cut too.

8. R4ce

R4ce Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Need info on your complete set up, also need to know if you are hitting right, left, high, or low of your aim point. Lowering poundage can also lengthen your draw, which can alter your anchor and peep.

9. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i had this happen to me once (being newer). take the day off. start again tomorrow. when you make any changes, dont think about the changes. keep the string anchored in the same place on your face and shoot the same way every time. same aim same form. dont think about whats changed on your bow. adjust the bow to your eye. i had a day where i was anchoring differently for some reason which threw my nose off on the string and lined my eye up differently.

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Try this.....up the tip weight of your arrow until you start shooting better. Your arrow may have stiffened up too much once you dropped the draw weight. Go to a 125 grain to see if that makes any difference. If that starts bringing your arrows back to the center then keep upping the weight until it hits good horizontally.

11. LegendaryMe

LegendaryMe Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Paper tuning never hurts..

12. Lt.smoke

Lt.smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Parker Eagle Outfitter series bow... When I initially got the bow the Tech set it at 58lbs and that was just too much for me to pull it smoothly so I lowered the weight... I went out 1.5 turns on both screws... I went a 1/2 turn at a time until it got to where i could pull it back comfortably without having to tilt the bow to the sky to do so...

As far as what the arrows are doing there is NO consistency in how they hit... I know you are supposed to chase the arrows and when i did so the results would get a bit better but I mean I am Maxed out on ALL my available adjustments and STILL cant get on target shots...

I am goign to go buy the supplies to build a cheap stand to hold a piece of paper up so I can try paper tuning... Hopefully that will work because i did notice when I shot after lowering the weight that the arrows would sometimes impact at really funky angles

13. SLINGnMISS

SLINGnMISS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you can post a pic of the paper tuning. Also on the gold tips what is the number that's on the arrows. It should be something like 535 or something similar to that.

14. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It doesn't take much. My original paper tuner was a cardboard box with the ends cut out and duct taped corners for strength.
    The I finally upgraded to a milk crate when I came across one of those.

And I'm going to do that myself when I get home.

Look up the "easton archery tuning guide" on google. It's a pdf that is an awesome amount of knowledge.

15. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you can find someone who's been into archery for a good amount of time, have them critique you on your form...hand placement, how your releasing(are you "punching" the trigger) is your bow set up exactly to you...I was having some of the same issues and perfecting my form helped...and sometimes you just have off days.

16. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    you say you are new to archery. Tell yah what. before you get all crazy and start changin things. If it is sighted in at 20 and you are using field tips, when you are shooting at 30, after you release, go ahead and count to 5 before you drop your bow or move at all. see where that gets you. I suspect you might be trying to see where the arrow hits a little too soon without realizing it.

17. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When you lower your DW you will be unsteady at full draw. Because there is less holding weight.

I would try paper tuning and checking your spine.

18. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Theres a lot of things coming at you as far as what to do...take one thing at a time and see if it helps then move to the next.

19. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice. You might also try using a tree or corner of a building to steady your bow arm to determine if the problem is equipment or form related. As a general rule, if you are off in a consistent direction, you likely have a set up problem. If your right handed and pulling left, then your draw length (as others mentioned) has likely increased.

20. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What sight are you using? I know when I ranged my HHA in the first time with a blank tape I had a hell of a time getting it tuned in. Turns out I Turned the sight the wrong way.