Hunter/Cameraman Positioning

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by jfergus7, Aug 14, 2013.

1. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For those of you that film with a cameraman can you post up some picturs of you in the tree along with your tree arm? I am trying to figure out how to setup both stands, sticks and tree arm. I would like cameraman over right shoulder of hunter since we are both right handed shooters. Any pictures or tips would be appreciated!

2. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    We covered this subject briefly at our Photo & Video School but what you will realize is each situation, tree, and deer travel paths will in fact effect every stand placement. I dont believe I have the same double set setup in any of my stand locations because of trying to get that "over the shoulder" video angle. The height and of course dominant hand/eye for shooting may effect which side of the tree you will have to hang the cameraman stand on as well. Remember the viewfinder on most cameras is located on the left side. This will be trial an error for many seasons. We just so happened to get a photo of our setup we put together at the school showing what a setup could look/feel like. stand.jpg

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Most of my double sets look exactly like the photo Trevor posted. I try to keep the cameraman stand at about a 90* angle to the hunter stand with the platform at roughly seat height. Of course in some trees/situations this isn't possible so you just have to go with whatever works. Some sets my camera stand is on the left side, sometimes it's 180* from the hunter stand and sometimes it's 3 feet above seat level.

One thing I'll say when hanging double sets and using the HSS LifeLine with 2 carabiners - always have the LifeLine tied above the camera set and running down in between both stands. If you run it on the outside of the hunter stand the cameraman will have to climb up, then disconnect before getting onto his stand. With the LifeLine in between then he can be connected the entire way up.

As for positioning my camera arm, when filming someone else I typically keep the base on my left side about waist height when standing. However when filming myself I keep the camera on my left as it affords me better shooting opportunities as a right-handed shooter. This way I can hold my bow with my left hand as I maneuver the camera with my right.

4. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, That pic is how I was thinking of doing it.

5. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the pointers. Where are your sticks in relation to the stands? Do you run the sticks up the middle between the two stands?

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 2

6. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    Oh boy looking at this set up I am going to have my fall cut out for me while I am trying to film with my girlfriend. We don't have stands set all over the place. We don't have enough stands to cover all places we hunt. We will be bringing stands in and out a majority of the time.

I have two setups one with us with sticks like shown and then with us both in climbers. I'm not sure which is going to be easier yet.

Good advice guys looks like I'm going to have to get more stands...

7. Jeff Therrell Jr.

Jeff Therrell Jr. Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We don't have double sets in all our locations so we bought lite weight portables that are easily hung and aren't heavy and bulky walking in. Its also nice to have them to stay mobile to get you in that right spot in the middle of season.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Typically yes, but again sometimes it's not possible depending on the configuration of the tree. In a perfect situation the sticks are split in between the stands along the with the LifeLine. This way both people can be attached from the time the leave the ground until they come back down.

9. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info JZ! Gonna get a set hung this weekend I hope!