Scent control fact or fiction

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by ZGhunter, Aug 11, 2013.

1. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Its been said already, but...last night I threw out some corn and sat dressed in jeans and a blue golf shirt the wind blowing toward me and sitting as still as possible. Had a deer walk up to about 10-13 yds. While deer have a keen sense of smell, I don't believe a spray on top of the clothes is the cure. Likewise, I'm skeptical of clothing claims...perspiration and BO build up over time. I do wash my clothes in baking soda, bath without scented soap and try not to build up a sweat on the way in-these just minimize my scent. I always play the wind.

-Bill

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Double post

-Bill

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you need it? No.
    Can it help? Yes.

In the same way that you don't need a compound bow zipping arrows at 360fps to kill a deer, but in some circumstances it could help.

Just another tool in my belt. I could be more thorough about scent control for sure, but I know I'm better than many. Like with most things, I lay somewhere in the middle.

4. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess where I live the wind is different...lol. Here...it changes 4 times in 5 minutes sometimes. So I honestly don't pay attention to the wind much anymore. I have killed somewhere around 25 deer with a bow that way. I use to try to play the wind...but got tired of it changing so much on me. What it really comes down to is whether your smell feels like a threat to them IMO. I May be wrong...but, I have had deer see me in my stand before and look for a minute...then keep on eating outta the food plot. Me personally...I shower and use dead down wind products for shower, detergents and so on. I was going to my stand last year and had an 8 point and two spikes see me. An hour later, killed that same 8 point. I think it just depends on the situation i guess. I just hunt...lol

5. TANK38

TANK38 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone wash hunting clothes in scent killers or just wash with no detergents?.........bought all new clothes and washed with plain water and then sprayed with scent killer gold......just wondering if its worth washing again with scent killer wash.I'm actually considering putting them in a bin with some dirt and leaves from my hunting property

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get by with $30 spent on 1 Dead Down Wind kit which includes shampoo/wash, laundry detergent, deodorant, spray and 2 refill packets, and depending on how much I hunt I might buy 1 additional bottle of spray each year. My grandfather was one of those old timers who never sprayed down, he just wore long johns under his work pants and then a red flannel jacket and smoked in the stand but the times he killed a deer it was likely the wind that was in his favor.

7. ZGhunter

ZGhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wash my clothes, bathe, and spray with wildlife research products scent killer before I go out but it's up to you that sounds like a solid plan also. If You decide to put them in a bin with dirt and such you might could try one of the industrial size ziploc bags to help keep any unwanted scent out.

8. Will Work For Deer

Will Work For Deer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a believer in doing anything that can ethically increase my chance of harvesting a mature buck. I've used the same things as you guys. I have plenty of carbon suits, sprays, cost sents, rubber boots, etc. bottom line for me is that wind is most important. I don't think the carbon suits are as good as advertised. We've all seen the lawsuits lost by Scentlok and others. Myth busters also didn't shed favorable light on carbon suits. For my money, scent free and uv free detergent and scent killing soap are best. I always wear rubber boots and use sprays. Try to use cover scents when I remember.