Bees/Hornets/Wasps

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Siman/OH, Aug 9, 2013.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It was probably a cicada-killer wasp. They are big mean nasty buggers, not afraid of anything. My old man stepped on one a few years ago, it got his foot bad.

As far as the rest of you guys, I have noticed that the yellow jackets seem to be out in force a bit early this year (usually more active in late August-September,) but I am chalking it up to the cooler weather we've had past few weeks. But it could mean an earlier fall and (possibly) earlier rut.

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've noticed a lot of those little sweat bees at the last couple jobsites we've had. Between them and the horse flies, noticed a lot of them too, it makes for a long day of swatting the air ha.

3. 2 Lunger

2 Lunger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We've had them bad too this year. Got nailed by a hornet a week ago Saturday just walking out the front door. I still have a hole in my shoulder.

Couldn't pass up my favorite question of the year to answer. The rut will happen in your area the same dates every year regardless of the weather. Hopefully you are right about the cooler weather so that we see plenty of daytime activity.