Photo & Video School Campout

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Trevor Olson, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    For those who have seen the post previously, but may have missed the dates and info, Art Helin and myself are hosting a Photo & School Campout August 10-11th. We will be going over gear, framing, manual settings, audio, film-making equipment, hunting setups, and much more! Cost is $100 if paid by August 1st, $125 after. Cost includes 2 nights of camping w/electricity and Vehicle Park Admission to Blackhawk Lake Rec Area, Highland, WI.

The co-host of this event, Art Helin, is an accomplished professional videographer, photographer, seminar speaker, and land management consultant. Art has filmed for Archers Choice, Realtree, and Hunters Specialties among others for many years! www.arthelinoutdoors.com

As for myself, I am a self taught professional photographer. As many of you may know, I film for the Bowhunt or Die webshow as well as freelance for other shows on the Sportsman's Channel. Trevor Olson Photography

You wont learn more for less! Come hang out with some familiar faces and meet new people who share the same passion. We may be doing giveaways as well throughout the weekend.

For more information, please email [email protected] and/or join the event via facebook.https://www.facebook.com/events/473069182782270/

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't look like I will be able to make it this year Trevor. Hope that you can do another one down the road because I would love to attend. Just to much going on with family and funds really tight right now.

Dwayne if you are coming in for it let me know. Might be able to hook up with you if you fly into Chicago.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I will be there. Just sent you an email.

Who all's going to be there?

4. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the heads up Fergus! We will catch you down the road. If this year goes well, next year we will probably host another one, but I promise it wont be this cheap. Skywalker, I replied to your email. To answer your question, I cant say for sure. We have talked with people from all over the midwest and other productions companies including Turkey Reapers, Monster Raxx, Midwest Whitetail, Bowhunting.com, ect. We are hoping the "for sures" will start piling up. Hoping to cap the school off at 24 people!

5. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    One more week, I'm looking forward to learning as much as possible in this class!!!

6. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wish I wasn't so far away. I could use some pointers for sure. Good luck with the school.

7. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    So how did it go today? Anxious to hear some reviews!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 2

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    It was good. Good camping, good people and we did learn a lot. Both Trevor and Art did a good job and we all learned quite a bit. They had a guy from the camera store come down and talk about cameras and lenses. He literally brought over $20,000 of cameras and lenses. They had Skip(can't remember his last name) bring down some prototype tree arms that were pretty sweet and way more compact than most. I was a fan for sure, and one lucky guy won one that he donated. Not me:( Overall it was good and I think we may have recruited a couple new guys to BH.com.
    I feel like I can use the manual mode on my DSLR now and actually know what I'm doing. Like any one day class, there's way to much info than can be taught in a day, but I think they did a good job of laying a good foundation for us to build on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

9. austin97

austin97 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like it was a fun time wish i could have been there!!!

10. bohntn

bohntn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot out to all those that attended the photo/video school campout. Thank you for attending. I hope you all had a safe trip home. All of you were great people and i enjoyed meeting you all. Trevor and I met thos am and talked about ways to make it bigger and better for next year. One thing we forgot to mention about all the eguipment we talked about for hero shots and audio along with the great equipment brought in for everyone to use from the camera comoany out of madison,wi. You dont have to purchase everything all at once. Take your time and purchase things as you can affird them. Remember the wants and needs list. Again a big Thank You to all of you for making this first year a huge success. Rob if all else fails you could always look into becoming a comedian. You are a hoot my friend. Remember ahoot atraight and shoot often this fall but be safe. Art

11. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    As this was suppose to be a two day course, rain forecasted this morning put a damper on some of our plans for Saturday but overall it felt like there was a lot of learning going on. We had people from six different states attend for our first year. Art and myself met up today to talk about how we thought we did and would we do it again. We asked our attendees last night about a few things and overall we know we cant cover everything in one day. The best way to learn is to practice! Not everyone had a DSLR or camcorder but we were able to put several different kinds in front of everyone over the weekend to give those interested in a future purchase some hands on experience.

I want to give a big thank you as well to those who attended from KS, MO, IN, IL, MN and WI! We hope the miles traveled was worth it. Thank you Skywalker and Superman for everything as well. Was nice to put a face to a name. Superman should be a comedian! Thank you Skip Peterson of Skip Enterprises for some camera arm demonstrations and Tim of The Camera Company Madison, WI for his time and all the gear he brought out. Like Skywalker stated, he brought out well over $20,000 in Canon DSLR bodies and several rental lenses from the store.

I met a bunch of new friends and cant wait to see their work in the future! Currently planning the second annual Photo and Video School! Photos to come!

12. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like weather aside it was a great time. Wish that I could have made it but hopefully next time.

13. Jeff Therrell Jr.

Jeff Therrell Jr. Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We drove 1300 miles round trip from kansas and it was worth every mile! we had a blast meeting everyone and learning more about our cameras! All of the topics covered were great! cant wait for the next one!

14. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff!! Welcome to the site my friend! Glad you guys had a good trip. Sucks I couldn't make it!

15. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    It was good to meet you guys! Stick around the forum, it's a good place with great people. Glad you made it back safely.

16. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I am humbled at the positive feedback we are getting after our first school! We had 10 people plus a few helpers there throughout the weekend from 6 different states! I have to give a big thank you to Todd and Justin of Bowhunting.com for their continued support and contributions for giveaways. Most of you know that I have been a part of this great Bowhunt or Die family now a couple years, but Art (bohntn) is also supported by bowhunting.com. Thanks Tom Lester of Monster Raxx for leaving some Mineral and Attractant for a give away, New Archery Products donated some Broadheads and Quickfletch fletchings, Vortex for some Hats and the Vortex Razor HD spotting scope for demonstrating digiscoping, and Skip Peterson of Skip Enterprises donated a Mini-Pro Camera Arm! We are looking at doing this again in the future, but may be listening to everyone's opinions on one day vs. two days and time of year ect.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  17. bodenjerryj

bodenjerryj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Like Jeff said it was worth every mile from kansas! I had a great time and learned a ton. It was also really great meeting all the guys and making new friends that share my passion for the outdoors! I've already started paracting more with running my camcorder in all manual settings. I can't wait to get out this season and lay down some great video and hero shots! Thanks again to Trevor & Art for hosting the class. As well thanks for all the sponsors who donated products to use and prize give aways!

18. Grahambo

Grahambo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As close to Illinois while still in the Hoosier St
    Thanks to Trevor and Art, I learned a ton!!! Thanks also to the sponsors as well. Anyone wanting to learn about photography and/or videography this is the class for you! Info was well laid out, very much geared towards filming your hunts and taking your hero shots from guys that have been there and done that. Can't say enough positive about this last weekend's class. In addition it was great to meet some new friends that have the same passion!

19. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Its been some time now since the Photo & Video school took place, but I did mention in a previous post I will post photos from the event some example photos of what people learned and the shots they took. With photography and using a DSLR, knowing your equipment and the capabilities will help increase you quality of your photographs. We touched the surface of each during this event. Now it is up to the individual to go use what they learned and build off of that. Here are some photos from the school.

_MG_9683.jpg _MG_9692.jpg _MG_9697.jpg _MG_9718.jpg _MG_9744.jpg _MG_9771.jpg _MG_9783.jpg _MG_9785.jpg _MG_9792.jpg _MG_9796.jpg _MG_9816.jpg _MG_9867.jpg _MG_9870.jpg _MG_9875.jpg _MG_9878.jpg _MG_9884.jpg _MG_9913.jpg _MG_9923.jpg IMG_7322.jpg IMG_7341.jpg