Rage or Grimreaper

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by wilkescountycc, Aug 11, 2013.

1. wilkescountycc

wilkescountycc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys which is the best Rage or Grimreaper broad heads going to buy some this week want to hear what you think good and bad thanks

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been trying unsuccessfully to get GrimReapers to tune for 2 weeks now. Shooting the 100gr 2" whitetail specials (practice heads) I'm all over the place at 40 yards. I don't know if it's my arrows or what, since it seems certain arrows are consistently hitting in the same places, just not as a group. IE, arrow #1 will almost always hit high and left, arrow #2 will always be a little low and right. I do know I'm perfectly tuned with field tips (consistent 3" groups at 40yds, and I even robin hooded one at 50 yards 3 weeks ago.)

I had this same problem with GR 125gr crossbow heads last year on my crossbow; I switched to NAP Spitfires and the problem went away. I really want GrimReapers to work- what's not to like? Bone-blasting trocar tip like a Muzzy but with the bonus of the little razors; and then the huge 2" razor sharp blades ought to just decimate anything they touch. But unfortunately so far, my experience is that they shoot very inconsistently.

In the past, I had stayed away from Rages due to the o-ring horror stories, but everything I read now seems to indicate the new system has eliminated that old issue. So, yesterday I pulled the trigger and ordered some Rage Hypodermic practice heads just to see how they shoot. I should have an update on my experiences with them by next weekend. Stay "tuned."

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  3. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you like 3 blade or 2 blade? Both good heads I shot the GR from a xbow and Rage with bow both with great results rage im a little shaky with because 2 years ago I hit the shoulder. I found the deer but the blades busted off in the deer and cut my hand dressing it out.

4. duckbuster1484

duckbuster1484 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rage is by far more popular, and will more than likely get the most votes on this forum or any other. I have shot GrimReapers for the last 3 seasons and have never had an issue with them. I shoot the "Mathews edition" 1 1/2" chisel tips. Both are good heads and I wouldn't have any issues switching to rage if the reapers ever became hard to find or I started having issues with them.

5. wilkescountycc

wilkescountycc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard some stuff about rage not opening how have they changed them

6. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have shoot deer with both those BH. I shoot two deer with the GR. didn't find either! The rage as been very good to me. The GR take more energy to open and aren't fully open until there inside the deer. The rage always open. The o ring design would pop off and leave the BHs worthless. The new design has fixed that. I still use the old rage since I have 18 unused ones LOL.

7. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The way Rage open is much more efficient, and faster, than the way Reapers do. I switched from over the top style heads(Rocket, and Reapers) to Rage style heads(Snyper 2 blade), and will never go back. To me it's no contest.

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rage over Grim Reaper any day!

9. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    DC, make a little notch in the blades of your old Rage and put an Impala orthodontic band on them. Look at a pic of the Rocky Mountain Snyper to see where the band goes. It keeps them closed better, and the bands cost much less than the o-rings from Rage. Most orthodontists have tons of them, I've even seen them on ebay or elsewhere online.

10. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never shot a grim reaper but I can't complain about my rage's. Always deploy and leave massive wound channels.

11. MNp&y

MNp&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well Im not a huge fan of rage personally... even though maybe I should be.... The buck I shot this year had a rage broadhead embedded in its spine... and he was no worse for wear other than a scar

12. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Rage 3 blade Chisel tips. They fly perfect and get the job done. However I have never shot grim reapers.

13. Jabeaux

Jabeaux Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Used rage for Three seasons, but I am switching to Reapers this season. Lost all confidence in Rage.

14. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The new Rage Hypodermics are very nice IMO. I bought a pack the other day to try out this year.

15. adrenaline_attack28

adrenaline_attack28 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my rage 2 blades!!!

16. austin97

austin97 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    rage......

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shot the Hypodermics Practice Tips all weekend and they fly like a dart! I think this is Rage's Best Broadhead EVER! Can't wait to try them on one of my Hitlist Bucks!

18. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    ^
    that could be due to any number of factors having nothing to do with the head.
    Low bow speed, draw weight, extreme distance, deflection; anything contributing to low KE upon impact could be the reason for that. Heck, a field tip in the spine should be enough to put a deer down. Sounds like the arrow just didn't hit hard enough.

19. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    they got rid of the old o-rings and now have a new compression-activated "shock collar". The blade now has a notch which is seated in a rubberized collar which circles the ferrule. As soon as the blade shoulders impact, the force "pops" the blade out of the collar and the blades extend. I believe the shock collar is semi-permanently attached to the ferrule and can be re-used, or replaced if necessary.

20. Drop_Tine5214

Drop_Tine5214 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to use the Rage 2-blades, I have shot 3 deer with them and all of them died within seeing distance and left great bloodtrails. My only complaint was that the blades don't hold up to well. They also grouped with my field points very well.

I have never had any problems with the o-rings, but after reading some horror stories I have decided to switch the Redhead Gators. They get great reviews and are $10 cheaper than Rage. Check them out on Bass Pro's website before you buy Rage.