Goin to Look at a Used Truck Tonight

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by IowaBowhunter5, Aug 9, 2013.

1. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like he said, most reputable dealers will do what they can to help if it makes sense. My sister had a Dodge van eat a tranny soon after she bought it used from a dealer, and he made good on it. No warranty. So yes, it does make sense to buy used vehicles from a reputable dealer. Like he said, at least you have a chance that they will work with you.

2. Shockwave

Shockwave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is incorrect. I used to sell cars and trucks and can tell you that the dealer has no obligation to offer any kind of warranty or service agreement when selling a vehicle as-is. Unless they state somewhere that there is some kind of certified vehicle coverage, don't expect them to offer any kinda discount to service plan. That's not to say that if you go in there and raise enough hell, they wont help you to some extent just to shut you up, but don't EXPECT that.

As far as the truck you're looking at goes, start it and listen to it run. If something "doesn't sound right" trust your gut. Drive it and make the owner shut up while youre driving it so you can listen to how it sounds in various situations like going over bumps, potholes, turning, braking and stuff like that. Those trucks are known for eating up tie rod ends and definitely check ball joints if that's something you're comfortable looking into. Good luck bud.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  3. IowaBowhunter5

IowaBowhunter5 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looked it over, didn't see or feel or hear any problems with it. Called up some local mechanics around the area the ttruck was in, found one that could look at it. He was certified and said it sounded like a good truck checked everything out and everything was fine he said. Tranny didn't slip in any gears no leaks no motor noises. Buy the truck drive it 200 miles home, go to park it and it rolls out of park. TALK OUT DEPRESSING. How'd it fool the mechanic too!?! He looked at it forever too! So, guess the aftermarket tranny wasn't all that good. Looks like I'll be putting $1200 into a tranny. Man that burns.

4. Van

Van Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks man, hopefully it's just the park pin. That should be cheap to replace. I hate Dodge with a burning passion. First is the trans, next thing will be bearings and hubs garetee it.

5. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks man. I hope its something cheap. Theres always that risk and it sucks.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

6. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. That sucks.

Maybe it just needs a linkage adjustment or pin or some other cheap and easy fix. I had an IH Scout that would pop out of park. One morning I woke when the neighbor knocked on my door to tell me my truck was in her front yard. :o

It's issue was that the cable linkage wasn't adjusted right. I never did get it really fixed, I just put chocks under the tires wherever I went. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

7. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I would not take a used Dodge pickup if you gave it to me. I know of WAY too many bad experiences with them. Most of them were very costly. I like the looks of the Dodge trucks, but looks don't do you much good when they don't run.

8. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch, I don't have anything nice to say about Dodges either but I figured I'd just sound like a hater if I said "run, it's a Dodge!"

The weakest thing in my old Scouts was the tranny. They used Chrysler 727 Torqueflights. (and I think those were good trannys compared to what mopar came out with later)

But now, since he owns the truck. I wish him the best.

9. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You get what you pay for. Live and learn.

10. Shockwave

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like the parking pin broke loose. If that's the case, it wont be as bad as you think. I have an 06 Dodge that I've had for 80,000 miles and haven't had a single problem with so take the haters with a grain of salt. If you take care of the truck, it'll take care of you. Every vehicle has it little nuances. That goes for Chevy and Fords too. When you take it to your mechanic, you might as well have them go through it with a fine tooth comb since they'll already be in there. Make sure all recalls were addressed. Here's a list of them:

1995 Dodge Ram 2500 3/4 Ton - Pickup Recalls

11. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just like your football team, Dodge trucks SUCK!!!!!!!! :whip:

12. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While a lot of people have had problems with that generation of Ram, My family owns 4 of them and 2 are farm trucks beat on. We have never had to do any tranny work, or any repairs other then normal maintenance. They are great trucks if you take care of them, I'm sure your problem with park is an easy fix compared to replacing the only transmission.

I've had my own 2000 ram for 68000 miles and love it. I'll drive mine until after college when I'll buy an 09 or newer model.

13. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    One of my secretaries has a Dodge Ram that has lots of electrical problems. The lights have a mind of their own and go out on her all the time. It has been in the shop many times and they cant fix it. I give her a bad time because she had to get rid of her last two Dodge pickups because of major mechanical problems and she still bought Dodge. Sounds like this will be her last. Three strikes in a row for her. My sister had similar experiences with Dodge vehicles and several of my customers have had the same issues. Like I said, I LOVE the looks of them, but............feel free to count me as a hater.

14. Shockwave

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao:

The BILLS are the El Camino of the NFL!!! They can BARELY be considered a pro team!!! You just be prepared for a few months of the worst avatars imaginable my friend!!:nana:

15. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is the point I was trying to make. I know that they aren't legally required to do anything, but there are dealers out there that will do it willingly as long as its reasonable. Of course some will not, but at least you have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. IowaBowhunter5

IowaBowhunter5 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For all of you guys bashing Dodge, every vehicle has issues. I know my family has owned many Dodges and the only problems were electrical. The Fords and Chevys weren't any better. In fact, our only truck in the whole extended family that blew a motor and the tranny slipped was my Chevy. And it was a one owner truck (my dad) and he never abused it, hot rodded it, and it always was serviced on time with the best stuff. 128xxx and it was shot. As for the park thing, I was told its the park pawl, which is $130 part and takes 2 labor hours to put in. So yes, many dodges are known for electrical problems, tranny problems, and steering problems but, I know Chevy, Ford, and probably Toyota all have problems too.

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will never know what you guys had in store for me as the Cinderella Bills will destroy all in their wake .. MUWAHAHAHAHAHA! :ninja: :evilgrin:

18. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I feel sorry for the poor sap who buys my dodge, lol. It has issues.

Good luck dude

19. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  20. Van

Van Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: